27 February 2007

Master of Pens

Entrepreneurial genius? Or just a sad little person obsessed with pens? As I watch Torquer pick up a broken biro, scrutinise it, and then finally pocket it; I really can't decide. All I can be certain of is that the cold-hearted bastard will never lend me one, unless I rent it for the day.

That's right, rent a pen. I'm sure if he had his way he'd make me sign a written contract, and force me to buy warranty and insurance. Only yesterday, I had to pay 7p for a pen (including 24 hour warranty apparently) which he found on the floor. I've still got the pen now, so it's only a matter of time before Torquer calls out the pen mafia to break my legs.

I also know for a fact that Torquer has some kind of bizarre pen refurbishing set up in his room. Plus a big cardboard box full of old recycled pens he has restored, ready to flog to hapless punters like me. His room is probably littered with nibs, springs and the empty plastic shells of pens. I can just picture him, toiling late into the night, trying to make some kind of Frankenstein pen (or whatever other pen-related activities he gets up to).

I used to think it annoying and sad, but now beginning to appreciate it for what it is: Pure Entrepreneurial Genius. Torquer shows incredible business sense in navigating his niche market and building up his reputation as the leading seller of writing implements (which does nothing for his popularity, but I don't think he cares). Therefore I want in.

I'm currently trying to persuade him to form a partnership with me, and dive into the confectionery market. "Cans and chocolate bars are where the big money is Torq. There are bigger fish to fry!", I keep telling him, but he's unsure. If we moved into these uncharted waters we would face stiff competition and Torquer's just happy with his little niche, despite the incredibly low profit margins (and girls laughing at him).

If there are any developments, I'll let you know. One things for certain, if me and Torquer ever do Young Enterprise, we'd kick arse.

Oh, and Physics Challenge on Friday. Hopefully we'll kick arse in that as well.

21 comments:

none said...

lol I'd never have the stones to charge somebody for a pen. Oh well there is a niche for everyone :)

Anonymous said...

Cigs and such always goes down well.

DeBunkem said...

7p for a pen! Torq. is rippin' the piss man!! Everyone know the current pen rent rate is 6p.
~ DeBunkem

thethinker said...

Charging for pens?

I'd definitely be in debt because I'm always having to borrow pens.

Vimbai said...

Rent a pen...No sirree Bob!

I'd just nick one, so much easier and less expensive *big grin*

Miao 妙 said...

Torquer should seriously consider becoming an entrepreneur or a financial consultant in future since he exhibits such fantastic sense when it comes to money.

All the best for your Physics Challenge!

ldbug said...

Maybe you guys could create confectionary writing apparatuses?

Jingo said...

hammer: there'd be something wrong with you if you did start charging for pens!

mutley: Suprisingly enough, we're not a smoking bunch.

debunkem: I had to pay the extra penny for the warranty... ;)

thethinker: I always have to borrow for pens, therefore it pains me to see my money trickle slowly into his hands...

vimbai: I did nick one! And if he finds out, i'll end up with a broken arm or worse!

maio: yeah, he is a little obsessed with money. Too obsessed if you ask me!

idbug: cans are where the money lies!

violet said...

Good lord. Torquer will probably own the world in twenty years time, and be hiring it out to the rest of us at very competitive rates as he sits in his golden palace.

Good luck with the physics, by the way. What is the challenge, exactly? Or do I misunderstand and you just fight other physics students bare-knuckle? Winner gets an A*.

b. said...

i guess its ironic how the tiny, little, flea-sized people are always the Big Boss...

I've seen how lil Torquer is... and I'm surprised you haven't just squashed him to pieces Jing...

haha.

The Usual Stuff said...

Wow. Torquer should come to Mexico and ask my boss for a job. Sharks tend to swim in the same waters.
On the other hand, it's true that big entrepreneurs get started with small things. Me? I've started 3 business and bankrupted miserably. I could take a lear out of his book. Good luck with physics. My advice - if you don't need it for your job, CHEAT!

Crashdummie said...

Rent a pen?

Wow, thats a good idea - my pen always dissapair when friends "borrow them".

But to remeber, it's not personal, it's just business ;)

Cheers!

Dan said...

When does your stock go public?

Miao 妙 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miao 妙 said...

We all love money. ;)

Who doesn't?

Jingo said...

violet: More the reason to be friends with him!

Physics challenge is just a physics paper before the GCSE and 100 times harder. It goes up to gold and looks damn good on the CV.

baie: I could squash him... But then I wouldn't get the numerous other benefits of being his friend. (e.g. the free tissues)

usual stuff: I hope to invest in him, in the offchance that he will be the next Gates/Branson.

cheat... if only I could!

dan: well, Torquer's the boss so who knows?

maio: you're right. Just some love it more than others ;)

Aaron Lozier said...

Pffff. Pencils kick the pizzaz out of pens.

Does T sell pencils?

The Usual Stuff said...

If you happen to have a student's guide, I bet you could gather our cooperation in order to get you a neat cheat-sheet,at least with studying purposes.
I agree Torquer could as well turn into the newest Tycoon. Stick to him and don't let go!

Jingo said...

aaron: yeah he does ;)

usual stuff: well I done the test now and i didn't cheat. Even if I fail I have moral highground!

Anonymous said...

I didn't mention Mu has been jailed pending deportation, suddenly the joke is over.

Torquer said...

How dare you assume that I leave bits of pen lying all over my bedroom floor at night. I keep everything in colour labled IKEA furniture - of course.

The only reason I have to sell pens to Jingo (I never rent) is because he always borrows them off me for free. I never seem to get them back.

You can scoff all you like, but you don't what its like to sit next to him in French.