02 March 2007

Physics Showdown

Physics Challenge... Over the past few days I have come to despise it.

I hate the way the school has decided to enter the "physics elite" (59 students out of 120...) to face a such a fiendishly insanely difficult test. I hate how the grades are Bronze, Silver and Gold; and if I get a "Participation", I needn't have bothered. I hate how the grade boundary is 70% for a Gold, yet most of us won't even achieve 30% (a Bronze). I hate how the test is not a qualification, yet means more than any qualification I have done to date.

But most of all, I hate how important it is to me. Succeed and I can silence my critics and it'll look awesome on the Uni applications. Fail and there aren't any serious implications... (apart from losing all respect and having a shattered self-esteem. I've already suffered enough from my poor Chemistry result)

And having done the test today, I regret being so ill-prepared. The day before the exam, the only preparation I did was take a shower with "Herbal Essence's Fruit Fusion" (The ads on TV enticed me so I bought the product, and it did wonders for my hair. Afterwards I felt somewhat emasculated...). On the morning of the exam, I ate a pain-au-chocolate in the hope that the energy I gained from this little french pastry would convert into some kind of mental stimulant. I did very little actual studying.

So with that in mind, I realised I probably won't achieve my set target of Gold. Even Bronze would be a struggle. As I waited for my exam paper, I realised I should probably have revised more.

Nick: Face it Jingo, God's on my side. He'll guide me through this test no problem.
Jingo: God's on my side. How else did I get A* in French when I can't speak a word of it?

(at this point Nick begins mumbling a prayer)

Nick: Dear God, see everyone through this except Jingo... See everyone through this except Jingo...
Jingo: Glad to know I'm in your prayers Nick...

Before we could exchange further banter, the test had begun and I screwed it up. But anyway, it's over now. Results are on Monday.

So a stressful weak is over. I've just ran 5km and watched Pan's Labyrinth whilst eating a Big Mac. Therefore I'm extremely confused/disorientated/frightened at this moment in time. All I want to do is sleep...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go to bed Mr J. life is hard enough without all those tests and things, and Pans Labyrinth, which is not understandable..

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you heard that Mu has been arrested?

The Usual Stuff said...

Hope you can digest Pan's Labyrinth in order to enjoy it.
You could've mustered our help, but I didn't receive any notice, and that was a pity.
You are blaming yourself well enough. There are some school subjects you won't need in life, and physics is one of those. As long as you don't fail, I think you'll be fine. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

It's a rather spiffing film. One of my favourites, in fact.

Don't really see why a test which doesn't matter at all to anyone matters to you. Still, i spose its nice to do well once in a while. I just try not to expect too much of myself. Then im pleasantly surprised when i do well.

Hope you're well

Leo

david santos said...

Hello!
All good
thank you

Gaz said...

What's Pan's Labyrinth?.....good luck on the exam lid.

sciurine said...

I think you're brave in even sitting the test; though it sounded like you didn't have a choice. I achieved a participation in two of my maths challenges in year 10 and 11, yet in yr 12 i scored almost full marks in maths and now i have 6 students whom i'm tutoring. So, don't worry too much bout it buddy, everything will be just fine ;)

Glucks!

Miao 妙 said...

Hey Jingo, like you said, the smart people always think they have done badly when in fact they have done pretty well. You are a smart person and I am sure you'll eventually do fine. :)

Jingo said...

Mutley: Well I've had my rest and feel a lot better now! I'm sorry to hear about Mu...

usual stuff: I did enjoy Pan's Labyrinth, although I couldn't really understand why it's called that. Who's Pan?

Perhaps I may need physics in the future... Hopefully I'm just being really pessimistic!

leo: well... UCAS points ;)

David: what's all good? Explain!

Sciurine: I can't wait for the Maths Challenge! Now that's something I know I'll do well in.

Miao: Hopefully I actually did awesome... Doubt it though. But I may be surprised!

thethinker said...

I hate Physics. As a result, I don't do so well in the class. Good luck with the results.

The Usual Stuff said...

Pan is the sheppherds' patron in Greek mythology. He was depicted as a human being with goat horns on his forehead and goat hindlengs, that is, a faun, who is the trigger of the story. So, to make it more commercial, they selected a name English speakers were assumed to be more familiar with.
I agree with miao. You'll do fine, mate.

AsH said...

thanx for the comment- i have been neglecting my blog lately, i may write some new article soon so keep looking, how did u miss out on DoE?
ouch physics challenge, the maths challenge at school was bad enough!
-AsH

Jingo said...

thinker: It doesn't help that I like physics :(

usual stuff: I knew what a Faun was, didn't know what Pan was though... Still, doesn't take anything away from the film :)

ash: I missed out because there were too many applying, and my school is too poor to give everyone the opportunity. I blame the government!