16 February 2007

Book Tag

What I really should be doing is understanding this complicated Calculus (Integration, Differentiation, which one's which again?). Instead, ShouFarn has cruelly decided to tag me. Therefore duty calls.

Rules are simple:

1) Grab the closest book to you.

"The Writer's Presence" compiled by Donald McQuade and Robert Atwin

2) Open to page 123, go down to the 4th sentence.
3) Post the text of the following 3 sentences on your blog.

"The mother was acting on her own, I think: That was her way of being cruel and competitive under the guise of being helpful and maternal. You have small breasts, she was saying; therefore you will never make him as happy as I have. Or you have small breasts; therefore you are less of a woman than I am."

The book is a collection of essays and extracts of books which were put together for the purpose of teaching students the different styles authors use. The three sentences were from the article "A Few Words about Breasts" (which seems like quite an interesting read).

I bought the book for $50, back when I was in America studying at John Hopkins (or Baltimore. I can't remember which) on an exchange programme. Ah, fond memories.

Back then I was short and fat but popular. Oh how the Americans love a Brit amongst them. It was in America where I wore a dress, discovered my love for R.E.M and drank a drink that was a mixture of Coke and Ice-cream (America! What a country!)

The book is huge; almost 1000 pages of font size 8. Which is why it's been sitting on my desk, unread, gathering dust.

And I tag whoever who wants to do this little meme.

20 comments:

Steven said...

Thebook closest to me is a Calvin and Hobbes collection. :)

Steve~

The Usual Stuff said...

My most favorite and beloved book is 'Don Quixote', by Cervantes. If I were stranded in a desert island, that'sthe one I'd take with me. If we can read in paradise, I'll pick it too.
Currently, I'm reading a biography on Benito Juarez. Quite interesting, but far behind. Don Quixote is the best.

acw said...

Oddly enough, I'm in Baltimore, and the closest book is about Baltimore.

Jingo said...

novak: Calvin and Hobbes... Being a writer and all, shouldn't you surround yourself with great works of literature? ;)

usual stuff: Ah, a classic! I tend to read more modern humour.

anonymouscoworker: Baltimore... It's filled with acres of cornfields and the Amish! Oh how I'd love to revisit that place.

The Usual Stuff said...

dear jingo, if you ever come across something writen by Paco Ignacio Taibo II, go into it. Black novel has been reivindicated by this semi-god with a lot of humor. Hope it is as good in English as it is in Spanish. Detective Belascoaran is just the guy.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

* gasps in shock *

Calvin and Hobbes are great works of literature!

ShouFarn said...

Wow. The book you tagged seems quite interesting. And very good for a person like me, who attempts to write.

I was sort of wishing someone has "God Delusion" nearby, or "The Devil's Dictionary".

Crashdummie said...

oh well, then atleast you have something that you can (un)stabilize your desk with...

Btw, you studied in America? Wicked!

Jingo said...

usual stuff: Never heard of him, but I'll check it out. If it's got a lot of humour, I'll probably like it :)

device: You're right, I don't know what I was thinking!

shoufarn: Funnily enough, I have a copy of the God Delusion next to me right now. Have yet to read it though.

crash: Yeah I studied in America for about weeks. Taught me a great deal about the world that did...

Anonymous said...

You fibber the nearest "book" was "Readers Wives Does Hull", as usual. The nearest book to me is a biography of Boris Johnson by Andrew Gimson - crap Im as dull as you...

Anonymous said...

The book closest to me is Mill's "On Liberty".

Just about sums me up...

Anonymous said...

Midsummer Night's Dream for me. I was doing English coursework at the time, suddenly realising I had one day to redraft a 27 page essay.

Gaz said...

Can't tag me on that one,i cant read!

whispers said...

Hi Jingo...
I haven't visited your blog in a long time. Now there's like... four new posts that I haven't read! Wow. Oh, Bailey! That would explain your long absence from msn, I was being to wonder...
But yeah, love your stuff Jingo:)

Jingo said...

Mutley: I'm sure Boris Johnson has an autobiography... Hey! I'm not boring! I read Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde and stuff!

Gaz: Not even an A-Z? ;)

Sam: Thanks for dropping by. Hopefully we can have a little talk sometime soon ;)

Gaz said...

No,i just look at the pictures lol.

Anonymous said...

Jingoistic said...

Mutley: I'm sure Boris Johnson has an autobiography...


No "Boris - The Rise of Boris Johnson" Andrew Gimson, Simon & Scuster 2006. I have a signed first edition, it says "Fuck off and don't ever contact me again, Boris" Aaaaah.

Jingo said...

You should sell it on ebay... I know I'd buy it.

ldbug said...

Integration: calculations over a span of measurements, bring all the numbers into the calculation

Differentiation: the calculation at a specific point

So differentiation is at one point, integration is basically an average of points

I'm such a nerd....

Jingo said...

Just had my test, did very well :D

Can't say the same for Torque though...