09 February 2007

Strange Snowy Substance

What is this strange substance? It's white, it's cold, and as I look out of the window; the entire neighbourhood is covered with the stuff as if God had thrown his shit-stained blanket over Liverpool.

It's been over two years since that wonderful Christmas Day back in 2004 and I've almost forgotten what snow actually looks like. Everything was was so picturesque back then: A carpet of white under a star-strewn sky, the houses powdered like cakes and children frolicking and laughing everywhere you turned.

Fast-forward to now. The snow is a pathetic inch at most and has been reduced to a disgusting brownish sludge; how it had managed to evade the acid rain and carbon emissions to reach the ground is anyones guess. If this was God's attempt at making up for two snowless years then it was nothing more than an insult. As I looked out from my window early that morning, I treated it with cold indifference. This wasn't snow you could make snowmen and ice forts out of, this was the annoying, disgusting kind that you try to tip-toe around and used rock salt to destroy.

I used to regard snow as something fantastically fun and treated it like white gold. Now-a-days it's just a cold nuisance that needs to be scraped off the car.

But this depressing bleakness did not last. Whilst in school, staring wistfully out of the window (it was Religious Studies), a blizzard formed and the clouds dumped their load of snowy goodness all over the playground. It was a Godsend. The atmosphere soon reached fever pitch as we waited for Break, which would give us a good ten minutes for us to hurl this precious substance at one another.

When the bell rang, we burst from our classrooms and hurled ourselves at the glass doors only to discover something was horribly amiss: We were in here, and the snow was out there, and a glass barrier separated us from that pearly white Heaven. What resulted was a massive crush as students tried to force the doors back in vain.

The school decided, for health and safety reasons, that locking us all in the school would be the best course of action. Since snow is such a dangerous substance, and in all likelihood someone could have suffered immense trauma from an unsuspecting snowball, therefore I respect their decision. But it was a catch 22: Keep us locked inside and face health and safety over fire risk, or let us out and face health and safety over ice and snow. Either way we were extremely pissed off.

As lessons resumed, the fire alarm went off (we later learnt a gang of lads in hoodies triggered it) and the teachers were powerless to stop us. Soon snowballs began to fly. And anarchy was rife.

I spied Torquer weaving through the crowds of snowball-hurling people as if dodging shells. Sneaking up on him, I dealt a fatal blow to the back of his head and he crumpled to the ground. Before he could even mutter "What the fuck" I'd picked up another and smashed it into his face. I laughed as he struggled helplessly on the ground, wimpering in shock.

Oh how I love snow!

P.S. I've been informed by Torquer that I must link to his post on Taster Sessions, since he's holding my business studies coursework at ransom. Go to his blog and read it; his grammar is vastly superior to mine.

45 comments:

Aaron Lozier said...

Yep. I lied.

I need to write it seems.

Something about the inspiration to exist.

none said...

Brown grimy snowballs to the back of the head and then the face?

Beautiful!

Torquer said...

Actually, it was more like this:
I blocked every damn snow ball sent in my direction in a 3 metre radius of me. The only time I got hit was with small fragments of ice shrapnel from one that hit Jingo in the back of the head.

Some of us went to Sefton Park today for a snowball/football fest. Jingo chickened out: something about a dentists appointment.

Anonymous said...

Uch. First proper snow in years, and I live in a town where 80% of the population is over 60, and the other 20% are chavs. In some cases, the two groups have merged.

I live a good 5 or 6 miles from the next person who qualifies as normal and therefore I regard as a friend. So it was a day of playing pool and watching TV by my lonesome.

Plus, the snow meant the play I'd been working on for the last 5 months was cancelled. A blessing in disguise, I hope.

Anonymous said...

My school, fortunately, has lots of open areas which were covered in snow yesterday.

So 2 of my friends and i went out into the main playground and basically stood in the middle, waiting for someone from the lower years to throw something at us first. So we couldn't be accused of starting anything, you see...

Anyway, this fleck of snow landed on me, so we all went beserk on about 10 or so year 8 boys who thought they were really clever in throwing these tiny but powerful balls of snow at us. We elected to go for the "gather all the snow into one big ball, run up to one of them, and whack him in the face with it" approach. which was interesting.

i think i mentally regressed about 3 years in the course of 10 minutes, that day. not that i regret it at all, though.

Miao 妙 said...

I'm envious of you - I don't get to see snow in Singapore!

The Usual Stuff said...

In Mexico City we've gotten to see snow only 6 times, on top of the surrounding hills, and for some hours only. However, I've experienced the fun. Exactly 15 years ago, I knocked my best friend almost unconscious with a 3 kilo (believe it or not) snowball. That's one of the beautiful things of life I hope I'll never forget. I wish I could see a snowstorm that paralyzed the biggest city on Earth. That would be worth watching!

sciurine said...

oh, snow is certainly a precious substance here in melbourne. For us to get a glimpse of white snow, we have to drive over 3 hours out of the city, and only during the 3 months of winter...

I want to experience a white christmas - something that i highly doubt will ever happen here - even if God decides to catapolt snowballs at us, they'll probably melt in the sweltering 40 degree unbearble heat.

Have you ever tasted snow?

Jingo said...

Aaron: Don't burn out! Keep some of that inspiration for later!

Jingo said...

Hammer: Torquer certainly didn't find it beautiful! It was rather sadistic of me wasn' it?

Jingo said...

Torquer: YOU LIE! I only got hit once, right in the chest (my shirt was soaked).

How was Sefton Park? I got phoned telling me we were going to the Cinema. It was a hospital appointment by the way, and it was on the wrong date! Damn incompetant NHS...

Jingo said...

Sam: Chavs + snow = snowballs with rocks in thrown at buses...

What is the play you're working on?

Jingo said...

Leo: Sounds like you had fun! Any excuse to exercise power over the younger years right?

We tried to make a giant snowball and dump it onto someones head, but there just wasn't enough snow.

Jingo said...

The Usual Stuff: Where were you when you threw that monster of a snowball?

If you really wanna watch a city paralysed by ice, watch The Day After Tomorrow ;)

Jingo said...

Sciurine: Snow's only good when it's untainted...

A white Christmas is only fun when all your friends are there to pelt eachother. Otherwise, you can only admire it (and perhaps throw snow wildly around, but then it just loses its fun).

I don't think I've ever tasted snow... Surely it just tastes like cold water? (perhaps it has a magical taste...)

Jingo said...

Miao: Isn't there any snow in Singapore? Not even a tiny bit in the high lands?

Anonymous said...

Jingo, it was The Tempest, which I must say is certainly not one of Shakespeare's best. What's more, the script had been abridged (read: butchered) to the extent that character development was near non-existent.

Jingo said...

Sam: Ah I can't stand lack of character development either! So what's your role?

Anonymous said...

Best pretend not to be interested, or suggest its a huge cocaine dump.

Jenny! said...

I only love the snow for the 1st hour or so and then it looks really nasty and sucks balls!

KATHBEE said...

Rules and regulations, health and safety - Bah, humbug!!

I have just been for a swim in a delightful river, it is lovely and hot and sunny. Snow seems like a distant memory....ahhhhhhhh, summer ;)

Miao 妙 said...

Nope! There is absolutely no snow in Singapore - it is located near the equator, so it is impossible to have snow here. It is summer all year round.

Inexplicable DeVice said...

"a cold nuisance that needs to be scraped off the car" - Are you sure you're only a 16 year old cynic? Or have you just been a cynic for 16 years, and therefore are now old enough to drive and have a car to scrape snow off?

Either way, splendid snow/blanket allegory! I'll try not to think of it when snow clogs Broom's bristles up and I end up plunging headlong into it...

Jingo said...

Mutley: Not to be interested in snow? But it's so magical!

Jingo said...

jenny: yeah, especially when cars and people get to it... Nothing good ever lasts.

Jingo said...

Miao: Shows how rubbish I am at geography! I should really have known that, now I just seem like an ignorant fool...

Jingo said...

Inexplicable Device: I think I'm both! Although I've yet to learn to drive, will do so during the Summer.

Thanks for the compliments!

violet said...

Urban snow is a bit rubbish - I live in London and it's the only place in the world I've ever been that can turn a lovely few inches of snow black within about half an hour. Plus due to the existence of the public transport system, despite its utter uselessness in the snow, you're expected to get on and try to go to work and suchlike anyway. When I lived in Cumbria the whole county would just shrug its shoulders, shut down and go and play outside until it all melted.

BEAST said...

Your so lucky you got snow....I was all excited and all we got was rain :-(

Crashdummie said...

yeah, there had to be heavy snow in London the day I was going back to Sweden, resulting in all the airports closing and the flights being cancelled....


.. D'oh!

Jingo said...

violet: Ooooh London! I've always wanted to live there...

You'd think those trains were designed to cope with the liklihood of a bit of snow... I wonder what it'd be like during a real blizzard?

Jingo said...

beast: snow ain't that great, when you think about it it's just frozen rain...

Jingo said...

Crash: I wonder how countries with a lot snow cope?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I like doing snow angels. You know, when you lay down and move your arms and feet to make an angel in the snow?

Gaz said...

That was gay snow!

Jingo said...

Dr. Kenneth: I wouldn't wanna make snow angels in the snow over here!

Jingo said...

gaz: can snow be gay?

Anonymous said...

It could be dandruff ?

violet said...

I couldn't wait to escape to London after a-levels: sometimes you really don't wanna go where everybody knows your name and that was the main appeal of London for me, coming from a crappy little town in the north.
After about 7 years (good GOD I'm SO OLD) I have to say, weighing things up, it was a good decision, despite the transport system and all the proper stupid things I did for the first couple of years when I was still really dazed by the place.

I am spending a couple of days mooching about in Liverpool next week, funnily enough, to get a break from London! Haven't been in years. The Tate and hugging the statue of Shankly are on my 'to do' list so far, anything else worth doing? ;o)

Jingo said...

violet: I can't wait to get out of Liverpool after my A-levels... Anywhere in the beautiful south!

If you're goin to Liverpool I definitely recommend the Magical Mystery Tour... It passes my house!

gneake said...

i've still yet to experience snow.

Jingo said...

what? in your lifetime?

ldbug said...

Stupid schools. Seriously, I'm not joking when I say that growing up school was only canceled once when a train crash blew out all the power in town on a record low day of winter (-40F). Other than that, school was never canceled and the teachers would never keep us inside, rain, snow, sleet, freezing temp. Nope. We were sent out from grade 1 to 12 with warnings not to enter the school during recess no matter how cold it was!!

b. said...

jing!!! you miss me?

i temporarily don't a computer... as in, haven't for the last month!!! I AM GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWALS!!! i borrowed my "specific other's laptop this evening..." yea, thats my big news for everyone, ask me later if you want to know anything... not that its anyone's buisness... besides the whole blogger world, and especially Sam's.... haha...

i miss you all, and Jing, i have been reading... briefly while in school usually..

all my belated love from valentine's day,

-baie.

Jingo said...

Idbug: yeah, school is stupid. Can't wait for Uni!

Baie: I have missed you, very much ;) It hasn't been the same without you, I've lost all inspiration.

What's this? "specific other"? Oh you must tell!