02 February 2007

Academic Choices

Sooner or later, there comes a time when we must choices. Inevitable, career-defining choices. The kind of choices that would shape your life forever and would determine your happiness for the next twenty years.

Now with this in mind, imagine the roller coaster of emotions I went through as I sat through my taster sessions (the education equivalent of pitching products to sceptical punters. Except instead of products, think subjects. And instead of punters, think students).

Just to give some background info, I have come to the stage in my academic life when I must make the agonising choice of what subjects to take for 6th form college. It is mandatory to take four subjects at A-level, and I am taking 11 GCSEs. Therefore it leaves me with much to think about.

For the taster sessions, I had already picked five subjects I was considering: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and History (spot the odd one out?). So the purpose of today was for me to attend these sessions, listen to their feeble pitch and laugh at their pathetic attempts at convincing me their subject is the best thing since illegal downloads.

So here's my summary of the five tasters:

Biology
Went there. Sat there. Got bored.

Throughout the whole thirty minutes, the teacher couldn't stress enough the fact that people shouldn't take the subject course just for the 3-day ecological expedition.

Would anyone want to go on an expensive trip to Yorkshire (of all places) just so they can spend three nights in a shoddy YMCA and observe ecology? Pu-lease. If I wanted to wade in mud, count grass or stand in the rain I'd simply play football, or roll round in my garden when it's flooded.

Chemistry
The subject itself seemed less appealing than biology although the information given was far more useful. I'll probably end up taking it since I want to do medicine (and go to many tequila fuelled house parties like those in Grey's Anatomy).

When asked how many people in the room wanted to do Medicine, almost everyone indicated that they too shared my alcohol fueled dreams. I eyed up all the competition, and felt concerned all day.

Maths
Trust the maths session to be done by numbers! I was quoted facts, figures and percentage. Just like this paragraph, the teacher was ruthlessly efficient in delivering the details and there was time to spare. I sat for the remaining five minutes pondering my future.

History
I've got no idea why I picked this, I think I did it on impulse. The room was filled with people who had done GCSE History and I was extremely intimidated by the ginger catholic social-sciences freak sitting next to me (Torquer knows who I'm talking about!) ranting on about how the school pressurises people to take sciences.

That's all I can remember from the History taster session, which is probably why I won't take it next year.

Physics
And so we come to the last taster session.

This was the only subject that did not make any attempt to convince us to take it. The teacher said something along the lines of: "If you're not 100% committed to the course then fuck off! This course is oversubscribed as it is so I don't give a shit if you take it or not. Last year we failed a whole class of students. That's more than the number of people who subscribed for Art, failing all them was like a drop in the ocean. A drop in the fucking ocean!"

For some reason that just made me want to take Physics even more.

So that was a summary of my taster sessions. I have another litter-picking session this week-end and an options evening on Monday. Hopefully they'll make more interesting posts than this.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have missed the point about the 3 day ecological thingy, the work is irrelevant it is about getting a shag and buying alcohol. It doesnt matter if it is on the moon.

Anonymous said...

Take History and ignore the ginger papist - cultivate a weird perspective on history such as a conspiracy theory centred on the Illuminati and put it in every essay.

Aaron Lozier said...

Shit son!

Where's the old poetry class!

LMFAO! Could give you something to start charming the opposite S with. God knows we need all we can get :P

Anyways. I'm taking a poetry class in university, best fucking class ever. My prof is a Canadian poet, published several books, anthologies, etc. It's pretty fantastic. But then again, you seem like one of those geniuses who thrive off the "sciences". Good on ya!

But shit son. Poetry is the bomb.

Cheers. Good readin as per usual.

Anonymous said...

At our local sixth form we have a hardcore communist as a History teacher. What a wise choice!

Thank God I've got another year of freedom until I have to make this sort of choice.

Miao 妙 said...

I never had the chance to take Physics, but I am highly interested in it. It is abstract and fascinating, and sometimes simply beautiful.

Jingo said...

Mutley: I don't think I'd be capable of consuming alcohol or having sex in dreary Yorkshire...

I doubt I will take History. I'm a man of science!

Jingo said...

aaron: You have a class just devoted to poetry? Wow! Makes me wonder what other strange and wacky classes you have across the pond.

I suck at poetry. I don't have your talent ;). Although I can usually bullshit some original interpretations that'll take me through my English course :D

Alas, since I'm no good with poetry I'll just have to make due with my wit and dashing good looks... ;)

Jingo said...

sam: hardcore communist teacher? I hope he doesn't preach. I have a crazy religious fanatic of a Chemistry teacher who is actively teaching Intelligent Design. He was on the BBC...

It's so refreshing to talk to someone of my age group and British on this blog! Most of the people here are from distant, romantic lands...

Jingo said...

miao: A lot of it is incredibly interesting, but I'm sure there are lots of tedious parts as well.

The great thing about it is you can never be sure of anything, even if the evidence is overwhelming. It's so cutting edge... I look forward to it :D

Torquer said...

Be careful of what you say about the 'ginger one' Mutley, he may track you down in your sleep. He has a notorious reputation for unexpected acts of violence.

On the subject front, half of the tasters made me more confused than ever before. Would you take Economics or Geography?

Nothing to do with options whatsoever

Jingo said...

He was pushed past the brink of insanity after Torquer refused him a pencil (plus everyone mocked his faith... something to do with choir boys...).

Now he's homicidal and has a vendetta against science. Oh and shakes his head whenever he talks. A creepy fellow for sure!

Jingo said...

And plugging your own blog Torquer? Surely not?

But yes I do recommend you go there and abuse him. He deserves it after ruining all chances of me getting a job interview at Tesco with his mere existence ;)

Aaron Lozier said...

HAHA. yes. in this "distant, romantic" land of Canada, I am taking a poetry class in university...... Introduction to Poetry 102, to be exact. It's brilliant. I get to engage in brilliant discussion over all varieties of poetry, from ee cummings to Shakespeare. Picking apart literature is almost as good as drinking Heineken!

Anonymous said...

Jingoistic, yes, he does go ahead in lessons (apparently) and preaches his dogma to all and sundry. Sadly, I believe one of my friends being taught by him was falling under his spell. I ventured to put him right, by saying that voting Labour was not, in fact, voting Marxist.

Ah, but there be another one of our kind, Jingo. His name be Leo, and he be a die-hard Lib Dem:

http://huntingforwitches.blogspot.com/

Well done, by the way, on some great posts. I have been a semi-regular reader since Laban Tall introduced the world to you on his blog.

Anonymous said...

I am right as always - science is for the geeks , which you aint...

Anonymous said...

"Jingoistic said...

Mutley: I don't think I'd be capable of consuming alcohol or having sex in dreary Yorkshire..."

I can do that anywhere - yep - anywhere, even Yorkshire.

Jingo said...

aaron: "Introduction to Poetry 102"? What a name! Why 102 exactly? What happened to 101?

I'm too cynical to discuss poetry... I just end up coming up with stupid interpretations and pissing round.

Jingo said...

Mutley: I live in the future not the past! Science is cutting edge stuff... If I wanted to learn History I'd read a book.

I can do that anywhere - yep - anywhere, even Yorkshire.

And with anything I bet.

Jingo said...

Sam: One of my friends was converted to Intelligent Design, even though they had no faith in God. :S Just shows the amount of power teachers have.

Yeah Laban's blog is extremely interesting at time. Although I'm probably not that far right.

I shall check out the blog of Leo soon, should prove interesting.

Anonymous said...

oi! i'm no die-hard lib dem. oh wait. actually that's a really terrible thought cause i spose i sort of am. oh dear.

i now feel like an over-priveleged twat for having so many good options available to me for AS and (on the whole) reasonably good teachers to boot. do any of you people do debating? or i am i the only overly vocal and argumentative one here? i think sam said he does youth parliament, but that's really just not the same.

Anonymous said...

^ I was offered to join a school debating team of sorts last year. The school had entered itself in a Mock Trial competition. I turned it down, a) because I knew it would be rubbish, and b) because I had enough to worry about than turning up at the local court-house every weekend for the MP to get a nice photoshoot.

Jingo said...

leo: There is no debating team in my school, they can't be bothered setting up anything extra-curricular.

Thanks for dropping by Leo, hope to see you again!

Jingo said...

sam: atleast you had a choice! I had the chance to be a school counciller but refused since it was all a facade; the school rarely listens to the students.

Anonymous said...

its a shame you dont have a debating team or anything, as its really fun and you get to debate all sorts of issues. for instance, at the Cambridge Schools regionals, we debated:

1) This House Would ban websites that glorify eating disorders.

2) This House Would remove all state funding of the arts.

both very good motions, although typical ones tend to be on things like "THW legalise drugs" or "THW allow the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport". although my favourite of late was one of the Oxford Regionals motions - "THW ban catholic adoption agencies from discriminating against gay couples".

if your school hasnt got a debating society, there must surely be one humanities teacher who is reasonably nice and would be interested in setting one up. you can get all kinds of information about debating off of the English-Speaking Union's website for British Debating:

http://www.britishdebate.com/schools/

its well worth a look, cause universities look for people with debating experience; you and sam seem like very articulate and intelligent people whod be perfectly suited to debating.

l8rrrrrz

P.S. i know the concept may seem eminently tragic, but the ESU runs a "debate academy" every summer for basically anyone, regardless of ability. loads of my friends went last year and said it was amazing, so do give it a thought. i think registration opens for this summer, quite soon. you can find out more at the website above.

Torquer said...

I took a few different options. Read my account on Torquer's Blog.

KATHBEE said...

You are being sarcastic when you say that that these choices will shape your life forever, aren't you? Yeah, you are.

You're so young, I don't think ANY choice you make now will have a long-term effect on your life! (Unless you get addicted to "P" - which is what we call it over here - Methamphetamine - or any other drug for that matter)

Jingo said...

Yeah I was being sarcastic. This is the first major decision I have had to make which is why I'm trying to convey the importance of it all.