04 February 2007

Litter Picking - Part 2

Another month, another session of litter picking. If you need reminding as to why I go to Prince's Park on a Saturday morning, deprived of sleep and bereft of joy, this is the reason:

I care about the environment, and I care about the local community. Sure there are scumbags who live round here that are incapable of disposing their disease-ridden syringes and empty cans of beer, but someone's go to clean their mess and I care about them enough to waste my Saturday morning doing it. God will smile at my acts of charity, and hopefully award me bonus points for the afterlife. When parents see me striding purposefully through the mud and rain, picking litter, they'll point to me and say to their young children: "There's a hero, a role model, a saint." Oh yes, it's just one small step on the road to Sainthood.

For the real reason, click here to read the first instalment of litter picking.

So to start off me and Torquer were dropped off at the entrance to Princes Park where we were joined by Rob to complete our trio.

Last time we had simply been handed our equipment and forced into the harsh terrain to fend for ourselves (and collect litter). This time however, we followed a procession of middle-aged people who also claimed to be "friends of the park" but while we had the simple task of picking litter, they had the difficult and infinitely more challenging task of observing architecture.

As we were given our litter-pickers (the poles with the grabbing thing at the end) and big black plastic bag, the organiser shamed us all by announcing to all the "friends of the park" the services we had done and how awesome we were. They all smiled and clapped (one woman even filmed us), we smiled and felt embarrassed.

During our expedition, we discovered two syringes and a beer can with beer that had congealed disgustingly. There was even a tree that had roots which had grown around a piece of pipe; we spent a good ten minutes trying to remove it until we realised that the tree and the pipe had become one.

And only last week, someone had actually died in the park (probably drank too much congealed beer). For all we knew we could have been tampering with key evidence, stuffing it into our big plastic bags never to see the light of day. They only told us this after we had finished.

After being overwhelmed by the fragile beauty of it all, I decided to take this picture (Notice how litter free it is). Had I known there could have been a mass murderer on the loose I would have thought twice.


But there was a dark side to what we were doing, a dark side not shown by the photographic evidence we took. Every act of charity was done to look good in front of the camera; once the cameras were no longer pointing we went back to our selfish, careless ways.

We took a picture of Torquer putting up a bird feeder that had fallen to the ground, but as soon as it had been taken he slung it back in the mud looking for the next photo opportunity. And on one occasion I snapped a young sapling for no apparent reason (after taking a pic of us righting a fallen tree), and trod all over some sprouting daffodils (Torquer dived to protect them).

We were trying to take a picture of me in the process of stepping on the shoots, but Rob preventing me (which would have shown how conscientious were were of the environment). However I inadvertently trod all over them once the picture had been taken.

It was all a sham! The pictures didn't tell the truth of it all! (I would post some of them, but that would compromise my anonymity)

Once we finished, we strode through the fog back to Rob's house (Did I mention it was so foggy I couldn't see my own hands? It was also damn cold as well and Torquer refused to give me his spare gloves. His SPARE gloves! Something about me infecting them...). Had anyone been filming us, it would have looked very impressive; the three of us, striding across the lawn, appearing through the mist and fog, imaginary atmospheric background music playing in the background...

It was at Rob's house that we were re-vitalised with a hot mug of tea and listened to the Liverpool vs Everton match. Later on, I took Torquer to Tesco to enquiry about job opportunities (They took one look at Torquer and said No).

Another month, another litter picking session. I look forward to the next; The time will just fly by.

(Now go over to Torquer's blog and read his account of the events. DO IT!)

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, I admire you for doing this. A great example of the social responsibility that David Cameron is always on about.

Have to be honest: I wouldn't do it, because I'm lazy.

Jingo said...

Thanks, although I'm also doing it for the CV as well. But as long as someone is doing it, who cares what the motives are?

none said...

Motives are unimportant when doing a service for the community.

People who toss rubbish in public places piss me off. I usally police up the park myself when I take the kids to play.

Gaz said...

The picture's well cool,cleaning the park up is past that.

Gaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

Haha. Honestly, I love your honesty. :D

sciurine said...

The photo certainly captures the atmosphere of the possibility of the exsitence of a mass murderer strolling the park!

Hmm..i disagree with hammer, i think motives are the most important thing when volunteering, though is so hard to be completely selfless.

Haven't read your blog in a while 'cause i've been away, but it is still without doubt, beautifully done. As good as ever =)

Anonymous said...

I did it once - all we found were pot noodle containers. Thousands upon thousands of them - got my photo in the local paper though! An early attempt at pointless self-aggrandisement on my behalf I suspect.

Jingo said...

hammer, yeah they piss me off as well. I be careful when policing... they go around in gangs! (well in Liverpool anyway)

Jingo said...

gaz, the park is cool thanks to me! ;)

Jingo said...

Faith, it's just one of my many assets ;)

Jingo said...

sciurine, it was pretty creepy in the fog that's for sure! You're right, it shouldn't simply be for selfish purposes, although I wouldn't mind if it were.

Jingo said...

Mutley, when taking that picture, did it bring a tear to your eye?

Steven said...

It's just so much easier to throw my syringes on the ground. ;)

Steve~

Anonymous said...

Nothing brings a tear to my eye Mr J...

Torquer said...

Sounds like hammer does a good thing at his park If I had kids I wouldn't take them to Princes' Park, I'd lock them in the car instead.

You have let the world down Steve, not to mention your self.

Miao 妙 said...

Why not go online to search for jobs? I am sure there are several job-searching websites which may be helpful.

Or you can try the classified section in the newspapers. :)

ldbug said...

That's kinda creepy --- foggy park, murderer on the loose!

Jingo said...

Novak: Having read your blog, I always had you down as that kind of person :)

Jingo said...

Mutley: Not even the thought that our World is slowly dying?

Jingo said...

Torquer: Get your blog fixed! It's a disgrace...

You? Kids? Ha!

Jingo said...

Miao: Well I've got a volunteers interview coming up. That'll probably provide me with much more relevant work experience.

Besides, litter picking is only once a month and just an hour. Easiest thing to put on the CV ever!

Jingo said...

Idbug: I laugh in the face of fear! Also, I found out the guy had hanged himself, and was no murdered. How selfish of him...

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know Mr J that your friend Miao has deleted Mu Tai from her blogs, which is a serious lack ofhumour! Me too by the wya- but I don't give a shit!

gneake said...

the worst thing about parks is not the litter, but all the dog poo that dogs leave behind and owners who can't be bothered to clean up after them.

and i don't know why but dog poo is really hard to spot, especially when they do it by the roots of a largish tree. it becomes even more annoying because after running in the park i would often prop or lean against a tree to rest, and then, SQUISH.

and it's not like it's that hard to do because when you take the footpath into the park there is a stand next to it that supplies plastic bags designed just for the owners to clean up after their dogs. but NOooo.

Jingo said...

Mutley, can't you just try being a nicer person in her presence? :)

Jingo said...

There are rarely any dogs in Princes Park. It's such a dreary and cold place, why would anyone want to go there?