23 February 2007

The Ultimate Playlist

Over the past few days, I have been deprived of internet because the wireless on my laptop mysteriously failed. After many hours spent figuring out how a year old £1,500 laptop could just spontaneously malfunction, with the "help" of Microsoft's trouble-shooter (a total nightmare), and consulting various different tech-heads over the phone; It was discovered that I am, as my mum put it: "a total moron" as I had simply switched off the wireless inadvertantly somehow.

So to occupy those boring internet-less days, I began sorting through and listening to all the music in my iTunes library.

Since I have over 1500 songs (and an 80GB iPod video), most of the music is deprived of my attention since I favour artists I know that are good (and with over 1500 songs, I can't really remember all the tunes to them if they aren't incrediby catchy).

The solution, I realised, was to make playlists. I used to think them a waste of time, prefering to listen to albums instead. But now I'm listening to the stuff I don't usually listen, judging whether they are any good, and then sticking them in the playlist that corresponds their genre. (And if it's emo deleting it.)

I've now compiled the ultimate Electronica/Acid Jazz/Synthesised Playlist ever (Jamiroquai, Kasabian etc.). And also quite a good Alternative Mellow Rock playlist (200ish songs and a lot of R.E.M.). No longer will people laugh at my poor music selection whenever I host a party, instead admiring my awesome arsenal of kickass tunes.

It was with these potential parties in mind that I reluctantly asked Torquer for some of his music (He has maybe the worst music taste ever. It's all techno trash and Brit pop):

"That Live Lounge album is pretty good, bring that in for tomorrow," I said casually.
"If you want a copy you can buy it off me for 50p. If not piss off," Torquer replies.

Half an hour of bartering ensues. I want it for nothing, citing: "That's what friends are for!" but he won't lower the price, defending his position with: "Stop freeloading off me you hobo". Eventually we agree that if I bring in an album (I never do) he'll trade it for his.

You should see what he's like when I lose one of his pens.

"Why do you even want it? You never host any parties and it's not like you have any friends to listen to it." Torquer said.

It was at that point I ran out of the class sobbing.

24 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

If it were up to me, Torquer would give you his music, free, and be thrilled that you actually liked something of his choosing. And several pens for good measure.

But, alas, it isn't.

ldbug said...

Playlists, revolutionary. I'm thinking you will have a great party. Don't invite Torquer;-P

thethinker said...

I'm so envious! All I have is a 4GB Nano and I've already reached my limit. I can just imagine all the songs I'd be able to add if I had 76 more GB.

The Usual Stuff said...

My playlists are arranged by topic, not style (I barely recognize jazz from classical), but they're pretty useful to follow my mood.
I keep wondering (with a smile on my face) why you hang around with this Torquer guy. You make him sound kind of obnoxious (no offense meant) yet you seem to like him a lot.

Em said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...it led me to discover your blog! And let me say, playlists are a 'must'. I just don't have time to sort through all the tunes in a less organized manner. And it impresses all your geek friends. LOL

Gaz said...

torquer's not bullying you is he lad?

b. said...

Awww... Jing!

if you ever wanted an album off of me, i wouldn't make you pay for it... not with $ at least.... jk.

but man, Torquer can be quite an...
never mind. I'm not going to say it... i'm a Christian, and there are many a-bloggers with virgin ears/eyes(reading)... so yah..

i hope he doesn't bully you too much dear.

KATHBEE said...

I really need to take a leaf from Torguer's book and 'toughen up' a bit. He doesn't back down much, does he!!??? 8+)

Playlists are GR8!! I have a few different ones for different 'occasions' (for cooking tea to, having a bath, doing the housework, going to sleep)....man my life is exciting....!!! haha

KATHBEE said...

woops! Torquer - sorry....

Miao 妙 said...

Torquer is such a big bully! And honestly, I don't consider techno trash music - it is all just noise.

Sarah said...

If you play good music they will come...

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Ha HA! A pox on emo music!

And REM.

Blechh...

Jingo said...

heartsinsanfrancisco: I think it's because I take him for granted and generally insult him and lose all his pens ;)

Idbug: No one invites Torquer ;)

Thethinker: I'm finding it hard to fill it... I've only got 20 GB worth of music.

Usual stuff: Despite my constant whining, Torquer has been a loyal servant to me. He's not really that obnoxious, although he does have his peculiarities.

em: Thanks for dropping by! I've only been able to sort my music since I've found a bit of time.

Gaz: I think it's me that bullies him!

Baie: Nah orquer is quite cool ;). Although he drives a hard bargain.

KB: I learn a lot from Torquer... especially his awesome organisation skills.

Miao: I think I bully him more than he does me!

Sarah: I'm glad I have an awesome music collection then!

Device: How can anyone hate REM?

thethinker said...

20 GB is still a lot of music. I only have about 4.65 GB on iTunes.

Tickersoid said...

I like your taste.

Don't worry there comes a point in your life when you realise, hosting a party isn't a good thing.

Jingo said...

thethinker: About half my music is album filler, and 5 GB is U2 (eugh...)

Tickersoid: But I'm young! It's a good thing I haven't come to that point in my life.

Torquer said...

Is there any point in defending myself? Sigh. I'm a heartless old man who would rather jump in front of a bus than lend a CD to a friend - whatever.

Crashdummie said...

If you don't liek techno trash and Brit pop, how come you were after Torquers playlist?

Jingo said...

Torquer: I take everything back! As long as you bring in the LiveLounge ;)

Crash: I do like some... And he does have some occasionally good music. But it's hit and miss.

limpy99 said...

I really have to break down and buy an iPod. And pens. Lots and lots of pens.

The Usual Stuff said...

I must agree with Torquer this time. You wanna share my music? I can make as many copies as you like. Lending you one of my beloved cd's, DVD's or books? Over my dead body!

Anonymous said...

You turned off the wireless - errmmm?

Jingo said...

limpy: you can buy them off Torquer!

usual stuff: I do give the stuff to him back, good as new! And besides, this is how things work with students...

mutley: and I was a fool to have done it...

The Usual Stuff said...

(longing sigh) Thank you for that enlightening comment. I'm afraid I must be forgetting what to be a student is like, but I solemnly promise I will do my best to remember my old school days, when everything was much more trascendental. Even pens! LOL