21 May 2007

Just My Luck...

I swear I must be allergic to examinations.

Last year, I was struck down by chicken pox during my french mocks (thank god it wasn't the real thing. I would have been really screwed if it was). I complained about flu-like symptons on the day (which my friends mocked, calling me a pansy and other far worse derogatory terms), and woke up the next day with itchy red scabs all over my body.

My Dad, being the sensitive guy he is, told me to "stop making excuses to get off school" and to "take it like a man". I ended up bed-ridden for two weeks with chamomile lotion encrusted over my skin.

This year, during my mocks, I had spontaneous neumothorax. It's spontaneous because it randomly occurs (just my luck I know...) and it was bloody painful as well, so I was stuck in a dreary hospital for three days until the pain subsided.

And now, during the REAL GCSEs, I have been battling some sort of cold/flu virus that has infected me at the worst time ever. Two important exams tomorrow and I feel sick and my head is splitting.

My body is usually a fortress, so why must my immune system fail whenever I'm about to sit an exam? I can just imagine the conversation between my white blood cells: "Jingo's about to take an exam... T-CELLS, STAND DOWN. I REPEAT: T-CELLS STAND DOWN. LET ALL PATHOGENS THROUGH. I REPEAT: LET ALL PATHOGENS THROUGH... Let's see him take his exam now!" Or something along those lines...

I think God is conspiring against me.

Anyway, I've decided to put this blog on hiatus, mainly because I need to be focused for my exams and this is unfortunately a distraction. Also, the blog has degenerated somewhat since I'm lacking the will to write (something to do with impeding doom of exams).

Once my exams are over, I'll have time to properly improve this blog.

I'll be back in three weeks.

10 comments:

none said...

Get better soon.

I used to get sick for all my class Christmas performances. I was glad for it to :)

Jon said...

I swear every post you are putting the blog on hold for your exams ;)

good luck buddy, i'm just starting mine....German tomorrow. WAHAY!


but A levels are slightly eviler..i have to write about global warming in another language for gods sake. Isn't that what people doing Geography have to do, but in english :P

the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

Usually, the reason people get sick right before something important is because of stress. My brother is a classic example - during exam week when he was in high school, he would get all sorts of upper respiratory infections, like one never-ending cold.

Just be Zen about the exams, and get lots of rest and good food, and you'll be fine. :)

ShouFarn said...

ahem. [lecture]

As you get near your exams, you feel mentally stressed. Since the mind is not seperated from your body, your mood directly affects your health. In response to a mental stress, your body releases stress hormones that would normally help deal with immediate problems. These hormones are called cortisols. Short term exposure to cortisol boosts your immune response. However, yours is an exam , and is long term. We are not that well equipped to deal with long term stress. If you are under constant stress, you will have chronic exposure to cortisol.

So your blood pressure goes up, probably glucose levels too. And among other things your immune system is suppressed (for reasons i am not sure about), amongst other funky effects, none of them good.

So yeah. get zen about the exams. Its not your t-cells saying "STAND DOWN". Its your brain telling t-cells to stand down. [/lecture]

The Usual Stuff said...

Good luck in your exams. I'm pretty sure you'll do perfect, or as close as possible.

Forget about the whys, think about the hows. When immune system gets depressed, it requires reinforces, so send your fresh troops now. Chicken soup, 15 min. of sun light a day, vitamins and green vegetables should have you up in no time.

That lecture on cortisol was fine material. Talk to your doctor, to see if he can get you on pills, or something.

This is war, soldier and loosing is dying. I do hope you get well very soon. XOXOXOXO

Crashdummie said...

"think God is conspiring against me."

Well duuh. havn't you heard the news? If you wanna make God laugh, tell him your plans ;)

Torquer said...

Seems like you have a thing with being off on exams. Only difference is you come in on the REALLY IMPORTANT GCSE ones. Why don't we get study leave?

Jingo said...

hammer: I wouldn't mind being sick any other day. It's just this time it matters!

quirk: I know lol... The temptation is too great.

I feel for you. I know I could never have taken my french to A-level standard.

yinyang: The thing is, I don't feel stressed. Maybe it's due to lack of sleep...

shoufarn: can cortisols create holes in your lungs? If so, I've really underestimated these hormones. I feel better now though so it might have been a fluke...

usual stuff: I have taken your advice and do feel better! I feel no symptoms during my english lit exam so I think I've got over it.

I never take pills. I prefer my body to fight it off rather than take anything unnecessary. It's the key to my good health ;)

crash: He must be really laughing hard at my plans!

Torquer: What on earth are you trying to imply? ;) Well, I'm staying off anyway. They can't do anything about it!

KB said...

Awwwwwww you poor thing!!!! Although you're better now....so that's good!! =)

I had to laugh at your "t-cells stand down" bit....that was funny!!


Chicken pox are ugly aye!! I still have a scar from my childhood ones!! Itchy and annoying things!!!!

Anonymous said...

视讯妹 , 台湾视讯妹 , 韩国视讯妹 , 免费真人秀聊天 , fc2视讯妹 , lc视讯妹聊天 , 网页聊天室网站 , 视频聊天室真人秀场 , 视讯聊天 , 免费火热视讯交友