15 May 2007

A Revision Update

Forgive me for the lack of detail in my last post about citizenship - Had I the time and concentration, I would have properly ranted about this blended and diluted politics/history/media studies joke of a subject that citizenship is.

However, my time and concentration is somewhat divided at the moment since my GCSEs kick off in a few days time. A lot rides on the fact I do well - a cushy future, not feeling like shit during the holidays and a Nintendo Wii (maybe...) are all up for grabs.

In the next two weeks, I will be sitting my Citizenship, English Literature and ICT exams (in that order). Therefore, you may not hear from me any time soon. Citizenship and ICT are not a problem (I've already mentioned how easy the Cit. exam is, and I'm going into the ICT exam with a B grade - so shouldn't be too difficult), it's the English Lit. exam I'm worried about.

English Lit. is the toughest of the two English subjects (much harder than English language). It requires you to have memorised about 20 different poems, the entire "Of Mice and Men" novel, and is the most analytically challenging of the two. To put it bluntly, I am shitting one.

In a desperate attempt to intellectualise myself, I have decided to listen only to Classic FM (and the occasional Radio 4 comedy). I've also started praying - Not to any God in particular, I do it just to make myself feel better.

Hopefully I'll come out of this victorious. My next update will probably be during the half-term, when I've finished my first three exams.

In other news, I can't believe that weird looking girl won the Eurovision for Serbia. I really wanted that Dr. Evil look-a-like for France to win, or those drum-beating Hungarians (they had attitude!). Ireland, in true Father Ted fashion, came last which was pretty funny. I'm just glad England didn't end up with nil points.

And I watched "Scientology and Me" as well. How can anyone buy into that crap? It's not even a religion! I don't see why celebrities are so attracted to it, it doesn't seem to have any benefits whatsoever. You don't see people paying a hundred grand to read the next chapter of the Bible.

And finally, I'm looking forward to the Champions League Final. I can't wait until Liverpool kick AC Milan's arse, just like before!

That's it. I can't wait until these GCSEs are over.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

English Lit.? Piece of cake...

We're doing Lord of the Flies as our novel - easy as pie - and Seamus Heaney & Gillian Clarke for our poetry.

Got 100% in the mock, and the real thing looks set to be a doddle. It's simply a matter of knowing the poems inside out well, and a few key quotes from Lord of The Flies.

Nothing to get too worked up about.


Oh and by the way, if you thought Panorama's investigation of Scientology was disturbing, have a read of this post i wrote yesterday:

http://huntingforwitches.blogspot.com/2007/05/are-you-destroyer.html

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your exams lad you've worked hard and desereve the best,tell us more about the citizenship test,i think it's well funny,take care.

Anonymous said...

good luck with your exams.

Anonymous said...

I think English Language is harder than English Literature as you can see from the past years results that more people got A* on English Literature than on English Language.

Memorising about 20 different poems should not require high IQ, should it? I can't think of any reason that you are not able to do it.

Instead of worrying and praying, why don't you become focused and shut down all the music and radio?

A* can only be achieved by hard working. You will not be able to muddle through and you definitely cannot take a chance!

The Usual Stuff said...

Well, something to look forward to, the Wii, which I've gotten. I know you'll get it at last.

Thank God my CAE group was able to skip "Of mice and men". We went for "Animal Farm" and "Brave New World" instead.

Keep up the hard work. I know you'll do well, and good luck.

ldbug said...

Good luck on your exams!! I'm sure you'll be fine:-)

Jingo said...

leo: For you maybe... ;)

100% is very impressive! My problem isn't not being able to come up with original interpretations, or articulate my arguments. It's that I'm very poor when it comes to time-management (I tend to over-write on the first two poems, then under write on the last two). Also, my structuring of the essay needs improvement, since it restricts the amount of analysis I can do.

And I read your article on scientology. Very enlightening!

gaz: I'll do a feature post on the cit exam, as soon my half term begins. Hopefully my hard work will pay off!

jos: Thanks. I'll need it!

anon: It's unhealthy not to worry and pray occasionally!

usual stuff: I'm glad one of us got the wii! What games have you got for it?

I would definitely prefer to do Animal Farm, since imo it's a much easier book to analyse. But Of Mice and Men isn't bad either, and it's really growing on me! To look on the bright side, at least I'm not doing Pride and Prejudice or something incredibly long!

Idbug: Thanks! Let's hope so!

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Becareful when you pray. Some of those mischievious gods actually listen!

Good Luck!

Ms-Ellisa said...

Ukraine was really fun... laghed out loud in the end...!
I'm with Liverpool too- because of the Beatles... (yeah well I'm a girl what do I know about soccer..?)

Jingo said...

device: thanks! I would be grateful if any god could help...

ellisa: ah, a fellow beatles fan! Can't wait for the final, although I know it'll disrupt my revision.