02 May 2007

Getting Better?

I knew I wasn't on blistering form in terms of maths results, but I must have been on crack or somethin' when I took that test. I won't post the results since I don't want you all to think of me as some kind of mathematically-challenged, numerically-braindead cretin, so let's just use the euphemism "could have done better".

I feel bitter - like a former beauty queen who's grown too old. I can't quite come to terms with the fact that I'm no longer number one and I'm ever hopeful of clawing my way back to where I truly belong, and that's at the top.

These are dark days indeed. The Gods of calculus are fickle beings - As soon as you start believing you are Blaise Pascal and can solve every Millennium Prize problem, they taketh away and you are left with nothing more than an empty feeling and a half factorised quadratic equation. I wish the Gods would restore me to my former glory, especially since my actual additional maths exam is in a few weeks time.

But it's not all doom and gloom. Things are getting better.

My English abilities have improved tenfold - I know the blog doesn't quite show this, but my English results beg to differ. I think it's because I now know "Of Mice and Men" off by heart, and my poetry analysing skills have vastly improved. The only thing holding me back now is my essay structures (which can be easily remedied).

I suppose I should be glad, since it's not hard to improve maths (it's all about practise and memorising equations) but how on earth does a person go about improving their English? The only way is to read a lot of books, or have the natural ability. Both can't be done the night before, which makes me feel somewhat better after screwing up the maths exam.

So whilst Maths ability has fallen, English ability has risen. Since English counts for 2 GCSEs, and Maths is some kind of post- GCSE, pre- A-level qualification thingy, perhaps this is for the best. Nevertheless, I will be working night and day to improve those maths results.

As I come nearer and nearer to the GCSE exams, I'll probably do a post on every subject I'll be sitting for. There's two weeks to go before things kick off with my Citizenship exam (just to ease into things).

Stick around. Things are soon to get exciting.

18 comments:

The Usual Stuff said...

I do like it a lot when you say you belong to the top. That's also one of the things that define my own life. Being the very best at what I do. But I must confess something that was denied to me was the ability for Math. After elementary, where I used to get 10's (that's A's) without effort, everything became a confusing blurr. That's why I devoted to English language and mastering Spanish. I'm no Cervantes, tough.
Keep the spirit. You're younger and stronger than I. I KNOW you'll do better, because you have the spirit.

none said...

On my SAT tests I scored really high on verbal and really low on math. My end score made me eligible for (DSU) Dumb shit university.

Why would an English professor need to know trig?

Anonymous said...

How on earth could you possibly leave everything until the last moment???????????????????

If you are working night and day to improve maths results, what about the other GCSEs?????????????

Why have you got yourself into a situation like this?

Why??????????????????????????????

Jon said...

You have ages, remember that big half term before the exams. It's there for a reason; all that time and so little to revise for ;)

You'll do fine. Oh and revising for English doesn't really work, i made a bet with my (then) girlfriend that if she revised english and i wouldn't then i would still do fine....turns out she got an A + A* and i got 2 A*'s. English is all about what you have picked up before hand, remember be original; what i ended up doing was looking at the question they set, then breaking this down into another easier to understand question, whilst saying (in your introduction) that in order to understand their question, you must first answer this question.

Examiners, seem to, lap it up :D:D

Also when you ahve to write to describe be as off the wall as possible, In our mock exams about 6 of us decided we would try and get as many "meat" references into our description as possible

Teacher: "can i ask why so many of you chose to write about sausages"

still we all got A's then.

It's all in the originality (is that a word :P, meh it is now)

Jingo said...

usual stuff: I can't wait until I too can focus my energy and intellect on subjects I like. Dropping business studies and geography will be the happiest day of my life.

hammer: Whenever I try improve one subject, another just drops so I'm just above average with everything.

I would love to take english and maths. Although I realise I can't take both, for the sake of my career :(

anon: relax... there is plenty of time.

quirk: big? It's only a week...

I tend to include as much original interpretations as possible. The problem is I'm just too uncontrolled - I can get carried away and write too much for just one poem, which eats into my time.

Funny story about the meat. I can't say I would be that bold!

Jon said...

Yeah, but it was only a mock :P

I remember in my real GCSE thinking, hang on a sec, the examiner will be marking hundreds of the same poems...so i chose a new one which we hadn't done and did that ^^

Yeah i'm also uncontrolled, end of year 12 and still can't really plan a good essay :S

Jingo said...

quirk: a poem you haven't learnt during the actual GCSE? I'm not sure whether to admire you, or call you reckless!

did you take english for A-level?

ShouFarn said...

Who says you can't have maths and fun at the same time?

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/mathmovies/index.html

There, this should provide entertainment for half an hour. Or more.

whispers said...

gee... your life sounds really interesting! (mgmhpmh!) haha...

actually, i look like a crazed idiot when i smile, cuz my smile is so darn big! it can light up a room... not.
:D

Jon said...

Yeah i'm an "English lit student bum" :P

It's not bad, although i'd recommend taking that language if you're not sure what you want for your last AS. Revision for German....watching the simpsons in german

I love it!! :D

The Usual Stuff said...

I was oh just so happy when I eliminated Chemistry and Physics from my daily life! But I'll never quit English. It's part of what's made me who I am.

quirkalope: Watching programs in other languages is still underestimated by teachers. Believe it or not, my elementary students used to love when we watched a cartoon in English and later they had questionnaires. It was a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

I'd recommend Math for A-level. People here think you are damn clever if you get a decent Math grade at A-level.

Jingo said...

shoufarn: the 25/5 one is so irritating!

sam: my life is never interesting. It's mundane and repetitive.

quirk: I've taken 3 sciences, maths and general studies (forced to unfortunately...). That's me sorted!

I got A* for french but I've forgotten it all now so there's no way I'll be taking that for A-level.

anon: Since I'm doing further maths this year, maths A-level will be piss next year (atleast I expect it to be...)

Faith said...

great mindset to go into battle with! :)

Crashdummie said...

eh, life's full of "shoulda woulda could". Don't stress and just try to enjoy life.

And lil' grashopper, things are never boring when you are around. Don't think old heart of mine would be able to handle more excitment ;)

KB said...

Hmmmmmm, all I can say is.....don't burn out. Don't expect toooooo much of yourself.....and don't stress tooooo much =)

thethinker said...

"Could have done better" pretty much describes every grade I've received in the past 8 months.

Good luck preparing!

Jingo said...

faith: indeed. I'll have to be motivated if I'm to make it through alive!

crash: I'd enjoy life a whole lot more if I did well in my exams!

I'm glad you don't find my life boring. It bores me all the time.

kb: stress? This is nothing! Wait a few weeks and you'll see real stress! ;)

thinker: still, atleast they think the two of us have potential right?

I'll need all the luck I can get!