04 December 2006

Into the Bowells of the NHS... Part 2

Before reading the second instalment of my near death experience, I suggest you read part 1.

So there I was, stuck in a hospital bed against my will with nothing to keep me company expect the throbbing pain in my chest and the disease-ridden patients that surrounded me. I slept fitfully that night, plagued by bad dreams and the persistent coughing of the critically ill.

In the morning I was filled with a renewed vigour. The chest pain had subsided and if I were to be discharged early I might just make it for the Citizenship test (I later discovered the test to be incredibly easy. Even if I wrote with my eyes closed and took a nap midway I would still have aced it). This feeling of hope carried me through the morning, at least until around 9 am when I realised no doctor was coming anytime soon.

When a doctor did come, he explained to me I had suffered from a "spontaneous neumothorax".

"What that means is," the doctor explained helpfully, "air has gotten between your rib cage and your lungs. So this air pushed against your lungs which is why it hurt. Do you understand or should I repeat to you again?"

The doctor maintained his patronising tone for the duration of my stay.

"We call it spontaneous because it just happened. We don't know the cause."

Oh thanks Doc. Tell me something I don't know.

He then checked my breathing and started muttering "that's odd...". It must have slipped his mind to explain to me because he quickly hastened out the door, leaving me thoroughly bewildered and worried. He came back with a troupe of doctors to examine me.

"Listen to what's odd with his chest," the main doctor proclaimed. It was at that point I realised that my doctor was a consultant (a post I aspire to obtain one day) and the other doctors were his registrars (the trainee consultants). So basically the case was so fascinating/disturbing that the consultant dragged three other doctors from their precious life-saving work just to take a look at me. This did not bode well for my health and I was beginning to feel like a circus freak.

After much frantic discussion and standing around in my hospital nightgown, feeling like a fool, they decided it was best I stay for a CT scan.

The news was a real sucker punch and I was becoming frantic. What if I were to stay another day? Then another? Who knew how long I would need to wait for this CT scan. And what about my missed exams? Would I need to frantically revise to fit them into the remaining days of my exam timetable or not do them at all and not get the confidence boost I badly needed?

The place was resembling a prison more and more everyday; The food was barely edible, the people were miserable, there was no freedom or entertainment... In fact, it was worse then prison. At least there you'd be able to exercise and have a shower every now and then. I was confined to my bed and hadn't washed in days. Of my stay in hospital not one person brushed their teeth or washed in any way whatsoever.

As I waited for my CT scan that day, the long hours of boredom were really getting to me. If it weren't for The Religion (the book not the belief), a copy of The Times and the senile fellow who kept engaging me in incoherent conversation I would have gone insane. I spent many hours playing Snake II on my mobile, trying to beat the high score my friend set five years ago (that's what boredom reduced me to).

When the doctors finally came back to check up on me, after an eight hour wait, it was decided that I wasn't to have the CT scan. Instead I was to be "under surveillance" for another night.

When I heard the news I almost burst into tears.

13 comments:

DeBunkem said...

Hi Jingo,
So it took conversation with a senile man to prevent you from going insane... hmm.

Re. the Consultant I have this observation: if you do reach your goal of becoming a medical practitioner, NEVER forget how it made you feel to be 'treated' as a specimen. Never take the HUMAN out of BEING is my motto (actually, I just made that up - but if I was a motto kind of guy, that'd do for me... I'm rambling... better get back to my Shack).
Bye!
~ DeBunkem

Jingo said...

I will definitely remember to treat people as people. That was one of the numerous things my time in hospital taught me.

Anonymous said...

The NHS is totally fucked up. It's time healthcare was privatised.

DeBunkem said...

Privatise health Anon.? Yeh, that's really going to get things sorted out, like it has with the trains (!). Fortunately, I assume you are not serious Anon., as if you were you'd come out of your shadows and openly identify yourself with this opinion.
~ DeBunkem

Gaz said...

Bet that ward didnt smell too good?

Anonymous said...

I think you meant Pneumothorax. Can we trust you as our consultant? There are other spelling mistakes.
from a different Anonymous reader

Jingo said...

I'm guessing you're a conservative anonymous 1?

If you wanted perfect spelling you should read a newspaper anonymous 2. There's a long way for me to go before consultancy.

Jingo said...

The ward smelt like the dead and decaying Gaz. But you get used to it :)

Jingo said...

What is it with all these anonymous people? Atleast give a name.

DeBunkem said...

By Jingo, I'm with you about the Anons. Gutless wonders! (As you might've gathered by now J., I've got a bit of a thing about these peek-a-boo merchants!! I even dedicated a blog to them on our Blogger blog.)

As for your spelling: if you mispell my medicine, but get the diagnosis right, then that's fine by me.
Ta,
~ DeBunkem

Jingo said...

I don't really mind them... it's just damn difficult telling one from the other. Atleast leave a name or something!

Miao 妙 said...

My condolences. Boredom is most insufferable.

Jingo said...

Atleast I got a taste of the brilliant healthcare... If blogger didn't mess up latest post you would have read something fairly interesting. Shame really.