07 May 2007

Le Francais

Remember when I said I'd do a post for every subject I will be sitting this year? To start, I thought I'd do a post about French, a subject I did a year early and miraculously got an A* for.

Next week some of my friends will go for their french orals - They'll experience the same dread, the same fear, the same pain I went through. And I won't be sympathetic - I'll laugh, and make inappropriate jokes, and I'll fill them with horror stories (I'm not fucking with you! They made me translate french passages of Jules Verne into english I swear!). I'll do exactly what they did to me a year ago. Oh how revenge is sweet.

There was a time when I was afraid French. I was afraid it's subtle accents and gendered nouns, afraid to read out passages of TriColore, afraid of the embarrassment generated from calling a friend copine instead of amie (or vice-versa, which one meant girlfriend again?). But what I feared most of all were the French Orals.

You probably find it amusing that a language can have such an effect on me, and you're probably thinking up jokes involving the French and orals as we speak. But laugh all you want, the mere thought of French reminds me of that day. The day of my dreaded GCSE French Speaking.

Instead of doing some frantic last minute preparation, I came into school and just sat in a corner pondering. Why oh why did I have to take French? Sure, the language sounds damn sexy but was it worth three precious years of my life to learn?

I could of learnt Spanish (a lot easier) or Latin (a whole lot more useful) but instead I chose this! A language spoken by a bunch of baguette wielding anglo-hating beret-wearers who wouldn't even give me directions to the Louvre! (I had to learn the hard way - being stranded in a Parisian street filled with hobos). And what made me choose to take this a year early? I'm too young and stupid! I'm not ready yet to face the cruel rigours of examination, I want to frolic in the Sun without a care in the world!

I waited in the corridor for what seemed like an eternity, with those doubts racing through my mind - I entered the room, I did my oral, and I can out a changed man.

Whenever I recall those moments in that room, I sound like a Vietnam veteran: "you weren't there man! The silence, the flickering lights, that disconcerting smile... Oh God! In those split seconds your mind goes blank, and you can feel the pressure build and you're sweating like a pig... Never again! Never again... *incoherent mumbling*..." I would gladly face the might of Xerxe's Persian army rather than go through that ordeal again.

But I got A* so I can't have been that bad.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how i do love a good bit of oral with my french teacher. I'm especially good at the roleplay part...

the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

Hi! :)

I took French for three years, but didn't learn a whole lot. If you ever need to know where to take a bath in France, though, I'm there.

"La salle de bain est..."

Jingo said...

leo: I sucked at the roleplay, but I wasn't too bad when I had to do my presentation in front of her. I would have performed better if there wasn't so much pressure!

Ah the innuendo...

yinyang: three years is enough french. I know enough to impress people and say a few french phrases, but not enough to actually navigate around France and pass off as a frenchman!

b. said...

haha. i know he is Jing..

anyways, how are you?!
i am sorry- i haven't been able to read to many of your blogs recently- once things aren't as busy here, i will for sure.

hope you're doing well.

love,
-b

Torquer said...

I can still taste the relief in the air as I strode out of French last year and into a boring Geography lesson. Does feel good though dunnit?

What's your next subject post going to be?

Jingo said...

baie: yeah he's such a hunk. What I'd do to spent five minutes alone with him!... *ahem*

Anway, same old life. The pressure is mounting up though and I've spent less time on the blogs. I haven't been able to read that much as well, what with important exams coming up.

torquer: I'd trade sex for that feeling anyday! I was euphoric for about a week afterwards.

Next subject will probably be citizenship - our first exam. I can have a good ol' rant about that (can include the litter-picking as well).

And post something, you lazy git!

Anonymous said...

Nice one lad,it is quite a sexy language,a mate of mine switches his sat nav to french and says he gets turned on with the woman speaking french lol.dont mind me asking but do you speak chinease as well?

Crashdummie said...

I chose German instead of French… not as pleasant or charming language.. d’oh! So does that mean when I’ll go to Paris you’ll be my interpretor?

Jon said...

I love the quirks of german (no pun intended) for instance, contraception pill = die antibabypillen

hahaha so much more comical than French. Similarly hair dryer = Fön! and hot air can also be said to be Fön!

Es ist ganz Geil. ich habe viele Liebe für Deutsch. ^^

The Usual Stuff said...

I know how you felt. After taking my Certificate of Advanced English interview I felt like shit, 'cause I knew I made a mistake (fathers instead of parents, for god's sake) altough I was able to correct it on the spot. When the results came and I got an A, I was flying. Congratulations on that wonderful good grade. Better than crack, eh?

Jingo said...

gaz: That reminds me, I need to get a sat nav. Yeah, I can speak chinese. That makes me trilingual right?

crash: If you want to find yourself stranded in the middle of Paris, then I'd take the job!

quirk: German's such an agressive language in my opinion. French is softer and more pleasing on the ears!

usual stuff: Yeah. Usually it's that one mistake I realise afterwards that drives me crazy!

It was divine intervention that got me that grade. I got 92%... grade boundary was 91%... I scraped through on that occasion!

Anonymous said...

Why i was asking Jingo,i dont know if tou've heard of the guy Zeto,the one eyed chinese doorman,his only language is english,another chinese guy said he was a banana,yellow on the outside,white on the inside!

The Usual Stuff said...

Of course a couple of perfectionsts like you and me feel like crap when we can't do better, but isn't that precisely, my dear, which makes victory oh so much more delicious? How you barely scratch it to the top while the others fail miserably, and have the chance to look at their faces?

Jingo said...

gaz: I guess you can describe me as a banana too then!

usual stuff: I have to admit, I'll be rolling around on the floor laughing my head off if I do well in these exams! I'll try and stay humble if I do.

The Usual Stuff said...

Naaahhh... Being humble is for mediocres who barely made it. Perfectionists receive both envy and admiration in a pleased silence. Don't you think?

Jingo said...

Ah, but that would just lead to jealous hatred. And the last thing I want is that!

The Usual Stuff said...

ja,ja,ja. Well, there part our ways. I have learned even to enjoy it, 'cause in my country you're either a winner or a whinner. I prefer the former. But promise me you'll never stop trying to be the best, ok?

Jingo said...

I prefer the kung-fu master approach - lull my rivals into a false sense of security, then strike and unleash hell upon them!

But of course I will aim for the top. Like that song in High School Musical - "we'll keep stepping up and we just won't stop... till we reach the top! Bop to the top!