12 January 2007

The Blog is Dead... Long Live the Blog!

As you may have noticed, the blog is slightly different to how it was a few days ago. The reason for this was because the blogger template was boring me, and one of my resolutions was to overhaul the blog to bring it into the New Year.

The decision was not a whim. I had been thinking about a new template for some time and had come up with a meticulously calculated plan to transfer the blog to a new template with minimum effort and distress. Alas, as with most of my plans, it failed horribly.

What went wrong was:

I lost all my widgets in the transfer. All the colourful buttons gone. All gone. Now the blog is nothing more than a boring block of text.

The blog title image is a disaster; it's mundane and uninteresting and my attempts at emulating Miao's blog failed. And the colour scheme, as Torquer (the co-author who never posts) put it: "It looks like someone vomitted up mustard".

However, one person did give a positive comment about the new design. Those hours writing and re-writing HTML were not in vain after all.

But there were some improvements. I've reorganised the labels so that they are slightly less irrelevant.

I also separated my links section so that the friends of the blog get the recognition they deserve. The criteria I set was the following:

  • Comments occasionally on the blog
  • Links to me
  • I like that blogger
Unfortunately, under that criteria, I realised I don't have that many blogging friends. It made me so depressed I even added Mutley to the list (who surprising met most of the criteria).

Now that I think about it what was the point in me doing this? The problems outweigh the improvements massively.

Still, it was time the blog had some change. Feel free to leave feedback on the new layout.

16 comments:

Crashdummie said...

I'm sorry to admitt it, but Torquer might have a point... but doncha worry, the bloggers come back for you, not for mustard ;)

Cheers!

Miao 妙 said...

Actually, it isn't that bad. Quite a refreshing change actually!

And I can't believe that you added Mutley... You render me speechless.

Gaz said...

I think it looks great la.

Jingo said...

It's a shame people think the layout sucks. I worked very hard on it :(

It isn't that bad? Does that mean it's pretty bad but not as bad as I make it out?

I was rendered speechless when Mutley added me to his links list and, under my own linking policy, I had to add him.

Miao 妙 said...

Actually, it isn't bad at all. It is decent, isn't it? And did gazza27 use the expression 'la' or are my eyes playing tricks on me? It is one of the most commonly used terms in Singlish, Singaporeans' very own version of the English language.

Oh well, anyway, try to look at the bright side of it... At least you get some publicity now that Mutley has linked you? I hope these words are comforting enough.

Jingo said...

decent perhaps... but fantastic? No!

La is used a lot by scousers and is just added to the end of sentences... I have no reason why. I normally say it occasionally followed by "kiddah".

Who knows what kind of rabble Mutley will lead to this blog? Still, the guy may be insane but I have a strange fondness for his antics.

Anonymous said...

Ignore Ms Miao - you an me are buds now!!! The way the layout works in new blogger is different, its selecting page elements, colours etc on the menus.

I still didnt find the new Miao blog - but I do now know that the Miao are a minority people in China. So much for google....

whispers said...

[To Jingoistic] Why thankyou for commenting on my blog. You are quite a brilliant writer yourself, All of your stuff is so interesting.
Sam

Jingo said...

Mutley, I'm sure if you ask her nicely and treat her with some respect she will gladly hand over the link to her new blog.

I'm glad we're pals. If I'm ever in Bridport you can buy me a pint.

Jingo said...

Sam, I think brilliant is a bit of an exaggeration. But I'm glad you appreciate it.

sciurine said...

Woohoo, i've got a blog buddy! Thanks for linking me =)

I reckon the side bar is so much better now, though the colour could be slightly improved ;) I change my blogskin quite frequently, spending about 4 hours on it each time, yet by the end of it, my excitment and enthusiam fades away, html stuffs up and then i hate myself for even trying in the first place.

whispers said...

Haha, well it's true.
And besides...
Naturally you're not going to outright agree with me.
Haha...

Jingo said...

no problem sciurine! It seems that generally people dislike the colour scheme, there was me thinking it was clear and refreshing...

Jingo said...

Sam, thanks for the compliment! If you think I'm brilliant I must be doing something right.

The Usual Stuff said...

Wow! I feel so flattered! Tnx a lot for including me in your list. I have no words to express how happy you have made me. On the other hand, changes are not easy. Don't feel depressed about that. I know that, with enough time, you'll be able to make your blog an exact reflection of the wonderful and beautiful person I'm sure you are. Right now, I think it looks nice and cool.

Jingo said...

Thanks for that encouragement! As long as it looks nice and cool, I'll stick to it.