19 January 2007

Battling The Elements

"Are you sure you want to be dropped off here?"

It was 8:30. The air was crisp, the Sun was shining and I was in the car to school. Having not had much sleep the previous night (too much hardcore gaming), I was still too bleary-eyed to realise the distance he had dropped me off from the main entrance.

"Yeah whatever," I replied groggily.

As soon as I got out the car, I realised just how big a mistake I had made. As I looked up ahead, a dark, rumbling behemoth of a cloud hung in the air and seemed to be consuming the sky. By the time I reached the path the cloud had displaced the Sun and cast the street in an ominous semi-darkness.

Then the rain came. It felt like I had walked through a waterfall, or mistakenly walked into a lake. The drops beat down upon me like God himself was machine-gunning me with bullets made of H20. I floundered helplessly as the horizontal rain slowly paralysed me with cold, drawing out every ounce of warmth from my body. I tried to run but my limbs were weary, and my blazer felt like a lead jacket.

Had the rain not stopped, I might of drowned. But thankfully it did.

When I told my mate Dave about what had happened, he laughed uncontrollably at my misfortune. In retaliation I shed water all over his bag. That showed him.

"Was it raining outside?" asked another friend, who seemed unaware that I looked like a wet dog.

"No... My boat capsized and I swam my way to school." I replied.

Some people...

***

It's 12:30 and I'm outside playing football for the P.E lesson. Once again there's torrential rain, and once again there's mind-numbing cold. But this time, I have to endure it for a full hour.

And we're 7-0 down. The only thing that will warm me remotely is if I score a goal, but the wind is against us and every time we kick the ball upfield it ends up in the back of our net as if God himself wanted us to lose.

Will this rain ever stop? I thought as Neumonia set in.

But the rain did stop (huzzah!) to be replaced by hail (damn.) and what began as a monsoon turned into a blizzard. I couldn't see a thing as icy winds cut through me like a scythe. It was like God himself was throwing daggers made of ice at my eyes (which I need to see).

It felt like The Day After Tommorrow, except everyone was in shorts. Who likes short shorts? I certainly fucking don't.

But despite the overwhelming odds, a wild kick miraculously lofts the ball over the defense and right into my path. I blink at the ball.

"Run! Jingo! Run!" Someone screams.

And so I'm hurtling down the left wing, muttering obscenities and taking the ball past player after player as I transformed into an incredibly cold and unnattractive version of Cristiano Ronaldo. The cold bit at my hands and face, the hail induced semi-blindness, but I was completely focussed on the goal at the end of the pitch.

And the goal was empty! The goalkeeper had come out! My pace had left the defense for dead and I surged forward towards the empty goalmouth. I hit the ball sweetly and the ball soared majestically through the air. There could only be one outcome!

Now that I think about it, I really should have scored.

I collapsed to the ground a broken man. A humiliated broken man. A humiliate broken man who couldn't get back up because of cramp.

***

Two stories of pain and humiliation, both at the hands of the elements. Both events happened in the last week and I thought it relevant to share with you, considering the amount of weird weather England has been experiencing of late.

Only yesterday, walking home from school, I believed I could fly... It really was that windy! I felt like Keanu Reeves in The Matrix.

I'm sure some humiliating Mary-Poppins/Wizard-of-Oz-esque tale will emerge with these windy conditions. Hopefully it'll be Torquer for a change and not me.

46 comments:

Miao 妙 said...

Jingo, once again you've succeeded in making me laugh.

Jingo said...

Wow that's a fast comment! It seems like these little anecdotes are far more successful than current affairs... I think I'll stick to this then!

none said...

I liked the "god machine gunning you with water bullets" part. I've been there yep.

whispers said...

Oh my goodness. I cannot believe how hard I laughed when I read this, I was literally crying.
And that doesn't happen to often...
So yes, absolutely Volumptious [most people say that means "big, or full" but I like to use it as like "exciting" it's used to describe wonderful stuff, it's Volumptious, exquisite, ya know? [And I know I spell it wrong, that's cuz I don't like the way it's supposed to be spelt]]

Jingo said...

hammer, we've all experience that at some point.

Jingo said...

sam, better than the last post huh? I'll try and recollect some more humourous anectdotes for the next post.

One of my many powers is to make the opposite sex cry... and it usually happens online believe it or not!

Well, voluptuous does come from the latin word for delightful ;)

Steven said...

Your boat capsized ont he way to school!! COOOL!!! What kind of boat do you have. ;)

Steve~

KATHBEE said...

Hilarious!! Loved that story!!

I played soccer (in NZ that's what we call it! Well some of us anyway) for around 28yrs (Yep! You read right!!! haha!) and a couple of seasons in the UK. I can remember the cold, the rain, the hail and the sleet....and I thought it was cold over here!! Some games my toes NEVER warmed up!!

I also remember playing in Devon somewhere and trudging across paddocks over turnstyles and fences and finally coming to the 'pitch', which was a bumpy cow paddock with two rickety posts at each end! Loved it!

I also remember a lot of lesbians......but it's the same here too!! ;)

Miao 妙 said...

Well, I enjoy reading your entries on current affairs too, so you don't necessarily have to stick to this only!

Jingo said...

novak, i couldn't possibly say, I'm not a boat expert ;)

Jingo said...

kb, 28 years? wow! Professional or amateur?

Jingo said...

miao, I'll try balancing the two then!

The Flip Flop Girl said...

Wonderful stuff. Hilarious, as if God himself, had chosen to make me laugh!

Jingo said...

thanks flip flop girl! Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Praise to who that dropped you at school on that day

Anonymous said...

Hey Jingo - Mr God is not that hateful towrads you - -its all pretty random really. Apart from the rain - he meant that!

Im glad to see Miao is still alive - I was worried about her - but as you can see she is just hanging on blogger waiting for you to post....

Anonymous said...

Did you see that Jade Goody has been racist to Shilpa in the Big Brother House??? Why don't they put that in the news??

Gaz said...

A bit of bad weather did nowone any harm,dont know whats wrong with youth of today lol

Jingo said...

Mutley, I have no idea why Jade wasn't in the news. You'd think they'd make a big deal about the racism and all that...

Jingo said...

Gaz, you've seen what the weather's like! Can you blame me?

Crashdummie said...

Ah long live sarcasm!

Eh lil' rain, you should be glad that it aint snowing like here - I had to do a lil' bambi on ice on my way to work.

Icey pavement + stilettos = bad idea

Torquer said...

Actually crashdummie, I would argue that horizontal sleet combining with mucus in the back of your throat to form some sort of frozen snot product commonly used in industry is a lot worst than a little bit of picturesque 'icing sugar' snow in Sweden. Perhaps I should actually visit the country.

As for the stilletos, did you know that Jingo is actually quite familiar with that attire? America 2005?

ldbug said...

Look out for unidentified flying objects in that wind! I keep reading story after story of people getting blown into walls or visa versa.

Anonymous said...

Sorry not to post - I ve been pirating ships for the last two days - Ive had to move into the bath room to sleep as I now own 984 shoes!!

Anonymous said...

Where is Liverpool?

gneake said...

HAHAHA. Not only do you write well, but i think seeing you fail miserably has a profound effect on your popularity!

good stuff mate.

Jingo said...

crashdummie, atleast you were wearing warm clothes! Even if you did wobble a bit ;)

Jingo said...

torquer, i'll remind you that 2005 was a long time ago. I was naive, foolish etc. etc. and I only wore a skirt! No stilletos involved!

Jingo said...

snowbug, the winds are dying down now so hopefully there shouldn't be any more such incidents!

Jingo said...

mutley, I should have known you'd be scavenging the Napoli! Liverpool is next to Manchester, that should help you locate it :)

Jingo said...

gneake, well you outclass me when it comes to writing, but I have more embarressing experiences!

Everyone loves the humiliation of others! And I hope you are referring to my popularity goin up gneake!

The Usual Stuff said...

Man, I cannot praise you enough for your brilliant (I mean BRILLIANT) writing sytle. I wish I could write like that. I'd been trying to write 007 fanfic, but I quit because my style is a far cry from being as good as yours. Congratulations. That's a writer.

b. said...

awe poor Jing!!! am i the only one with a sympathetic bone in my body for your poor hurting soul? and the others scoff at your misfortune!!! how rude!

darling, i hope you recovered well... hail can sure be a pain... and i'm sure you have the bruises to prove it...

oh, and short shorts? oh dear me... uhm... lets pass.

also, I was not talking about the fat ronaldo, i was talking about Cristiano... just to clarify... i think i even confused myself when we were discussing football.

but since we're on the subject, did you win the game in P.E at least?

sciurine said...

Great stuff here, once again! Australia's going through a crazy season here - bushfires south-east and floods up north.

You never fail to make me laugh. Keep it up!

Mu Tai Dong said...

我是迷茫的! 这个故事真正地发生了吗? 它听起来太正常以至于不能是真实的! 从未发生在Bridport 的事喜欢!
I am confused! This story truly has occurred? It sounds to be too normal down to cannot be real! Never occurs in the Bridport matter likes!

Jingo said...

hi the usual stuff, wow thanks. All this praise makes me wanna write a book!

Jingo said...

baie, I'm glad someone cares about my wellbeing!

Yes, it's best the short shorts are not mentioned. Although I will be wearing them tomorrow :D

I thought you may have been talking about Christiano. Can't see what you find so attractive about him, he's a moaning git! And plays for the Mancs!

At 7-0 down, even if the whole Man United squad materialised we would still have lost.

Jingo said...

sciurine, yeah, I've been reading about the fires on the BBC. Will hopefully get a new post up soon!

Jingo said...

too normal MTD? I agree, my life is rather mundane isn't it? ;)

Anonymous said...

Had to check in as Mu said she had posted and I hoped it was OK - as you are desperately close to being cool, and only me and Mu could ruin it. If you ever bothered to read my blog you would know about my adventures on the Napoli (Bless her) - do you know how to assemble a series 3 BMW from all its parts? Also do you want any shoes , first aid kits, sex toys, or make-up?

b. said...

Jingo!!!! Darling, you really mustn't where the short shorts... i mean... seriously. the thought alone gives me the shivers, and I don't want you to catch a cold my friend! haha...

so i updated my blogs the other day... nothing special, seeing as how i don't have a computer at home right now, and my inspiration has been limited..
but i will be putting up some new stuff soon. enjoy.

Crashdummie said...

a lil' wobbling? more like alot of rocking!

I'm going down and taking everyone with me.. *grin*

Jingo said...

baie, it's not like I had the choice! I've grown out of my school PE kit and really cannot be bothered getting a new one.

Played in a match today. 5-1 victory! Even I got a goal from left-back.

Will visit your blog. My internet is incredibly slow at the moment because i'm converting files...

Jingo said...

crash, sounds like fun! At least frost makes a change from mundane rain.

Anonymous said...

http://moontopples.blogspot.com/2007/01/moon-topples-great-big-awesome-short.html

Short story competition jingo - on the above. Mu Tai is entering!

Jingo said...

Thanks for the link Mutley! I may consider entering, but fear the embaressment...