02 December 2006

Not Funny

Instead of writing part 2 of my adventures through our country's national health service (what happened after I was hospitalised? Ooh the suspense!), I thought I'd tell you all about how I became a contributor for Canadian humour site, notfunny.ca.

Canadians? Humour? An oxymoron surely? (I'm sure I've used that joke somewhere. Oh right, here) The site wasn't bad and I was flattered when they didn't snub me in my attempts to leech traffic and offered me the position of contributor.

The site itself is... decent. There's some funny stuff and not-so-funny stuff (which might be because I'm contributing to it).

Some articles seemed to have been taken from Uncyclopedia's waste bin, contrived by teenagers who think stringing nonsense together is funny. It might work for the Americans (who, in my opinion, have the worst comedy ever) but not for us British, we want more from our humour.

Having said that, there is some great stuff on there so I insist you check it out. If the thought of Canadians writing humour freaks you out then keep away ( I could never understand Canadian stereotypes. So are Canadians meant to be polite and boring or something?).

On the subject of comedy, I seem to find little funny. There is hardly anything that will get me laughing out loud (only Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and this dude). Maybe that's why I'm so critical. It's not like I'm incredibly funny so I shouldn't be complaining really.

I was going to announce my new position earlier, but more interesting topics pushed it aside and I just don't have the time to write that much. So anyway, I now contribute some of my material from the blog to their site in exchange for some traffic and gratitude.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jing... Interesting article...
... I wish you would have given us rave reviews instead of brutal honesty, but that's ok. E-mail me (CK) what you think needs to be improved upon to make the site better than "decent." :) . And hey, you're free to tell me what articles you don't like either, although I think I have an idea which ones you're talking about.

Jingo said...

truth be told, I'm not a hilarious fellow myself so I don't any right to complain.

The core of the site is great. I personally think you (CK) are the best writer there. If all the articles were like the Pop culture ones then the site would be a classic.

I don't really wanna point the accusing finger. That would be cruel.

Anonymous said...

heh. Sorry, I didn't mean point fingers, I meant what needs to be done to improve, that's all :)
Thanks for the kind words.

Jingo said...

In terms of improvement, there definitely needs to be some kind of quality check. And perhaps article feedback?

Mark Base said...

You've got to check out my mates The Vestibules in Montreal. They're really funny, and they're Canadian. It's true. Honest.

www.thevestibules.com

DeBunkem said...

Hi Jingo,
I tried submitting a piece to our Canadian bretherin, but it wouldn't accept. A shame really, as it was fucking hilarious!

All the best.
~ DeBunkem

DeBunkem said...

PS your 'boss' comment on Fat Northern Bastard made me laugh!!!

Jingo said...

I thought that sample of scouse "wit" might give you a bit of a laugh.

Anonymous said...

Dear Debunkem & Dan.
I did recieve your article submission, and I read it. It was good.
It got put in my "trash" folder because, 1, the submit to us option has been removed from the main page; I'm surprised that you found it (it's usually spam). Also, I don't know if you expected it to post automatically or what. Basically, we read the article and then decide if we want to put it up.
That being said, I didn't know the legitimacy of your claim to the material, so I didn't post it (I don't want to infringe on copyrights). If you're interested in submitting content to the site, e-mail me: cereal13killer@notfunny.ca

Jingo said...

Damn bureaucracy! What happened to when humour was all about making people laugh? :)

DeBunkem said...

Notfunny,
Thanks for the clarification. Look mate, I never imagined that material would be submitted without quality control, but I was not sure that it got sent at all (you know, what with being a technophobe and being pig shit thick an' all!). If you have any doubt about my ability to create my own material - and plenty of it, in quick time -, check out my main blog, Rambling in the Weedy Shack (URL = http://welikeweedswedo.blogstream.com/).
I can honestly say, I have NEVER plagiarised in my life (although I understand your suspicion, given the nature of internetted ideas).

Cheers.
~ DeBunkem