13 December 2006

England Lacks Skills...

It was in the news recently that the UK workforce was lacking in skills, and skill levels need to be raised to compete with rapidly developing countries such as China or India.

This does not surprise me remotely. Even in my school, arguably the best in Liverpool, there is a degenerate culture which prevents people from learning anything of any kind. People prefer to laze around, do nothing and pressurise others to do the same rather than taking full advantage of the abundant opportunities that surround them.

This doesn't just apply to lessons and homework, it applies to anything vaguely intellectual.

Torquer, a contributor to this blog (you won't have seen him around, he rarely posts) is a bit of a whizz with computers. He seems to nack for getting computers to work when others have failed. In fact, he's developed quite a reputation for it.

But people don't see it as a talent, people see it as an unfortunate affliction. They use it against him as if it's something to be ashamed of.

And I like to read. Except whenever I mention it people say things like: "Why read? It's so boring. Only gimps read." This kind of negative atmosphere would make anyone uncomfortable to discuss anything of intellect. Peer pressure alone is contributing to the lack of skills England is suffering of late.

Also, the naive share the belief that they can achieve massive success through minimum effort. Prince Charles made the point some time ago when he said children were being brought up with expectations that were far too high. Despite the backlash of the comment, I totally agree.

For example, I know someone who is convinced they will win a Nobel Prize for Physics. Another is determined she will become an astronaut. I would take them more seriously if they actually weren't stupid and work towards their goals. They expect it all to be handed to them on a platter.

Simply setting up more vocational courses and more opportunities just won't work. Although it'd be a lot more work changing the mentalities of the students. Trust Labour to take the easy route for Education.

13 comments:

DeBunkem said...

Hi Jingo,
I agree with you about a culture of ignorance and mediocrity. However, I can't take Prince f-ing Charles seriously on this - or much else either, for that matter! He's the epitome of aristocracy over meritocracy. For instance, he never would have got into Cambridge but for his birth privileges.

Back to your point though. Ignorance has a big gob and deaf ears. I was lucky when I was at school really. It was known that I wrote poetry and stuff, but people were also aware that I was a talented boxer from a clan of fighters. Funnily enough, no-one ever gave me any stick about it (I went to a VERY bad school indeed!). However, I see this dictatorship of the lowest common denominator all the time, and it infuriates me. You're right: we need a culture of aspiration and excellence, where people realise that work is a vital component of talent. It is.
Cheers,
~ DeBunkem

Simon said...

Just wait for sixth form, it is amazing. All the people who don't put the work in either don't get in or fall out very quickly. Everyone is striving for good results and most people are very intellectual (or artistic, they are just as important). It's difficult to describe but this year is great, once you get there you will see what I mean, the past five years of school are hell in comparison and you will never look back. I also recognise that it is the luck of the draw really if you have good friends or not.

Jingo said...

Hi DeBunkem,

It is definitely very hard to take Prince Charles seriously (the guy talks to trees) but he was right on that point though, even if he is a hypocrite.

But how will we get that culture? Whoever cracks that should get a Nobel Prize; teenagers are the hardest to comprehend/motivate.

Jingo said...

Hi Simon,

I can't wait till this academic year is over so that I can look forward to the 6th form. The current year is just so similar and repetative to the last...

All my closest friends are generally not yobbish (they are talented and intellectual) so I was blessed really. I'm surprised really since most of my school is thick and chavvish.

Anonymous said...

Those that don't work in school eventually learn the necessary skills through additional hard work.

So it all balances out.

Miao 妙 said...

I suffer the same fate as you whenever I tell people that reading is one of my hobbies. But I guess I am perhaps a little more fortunate than you because I do have some friends (though they really belong to the minority) who enjoy reading too.

Anyway have you ever thought of submitting this entry to the national newspapers? What you've written makes a good point.

Jingo said...

I do have some friends who enjoy reading, but they are a very small minority.

If I submitted this to a newspaper I would only recieve ridicule. Besides, the establishment would never understand.

Simon said...

Yeah, I would agree. Anyone you talk to who hasn't been to school for a few years has no idea about these problems.

Anonymous said...

Pupils in this country do not realise how lucky they are.
Children in many other countries pay for their tuition. A large number of them do not go to school at all.

Last week BBC ran a report about a school in Kabul. The country is supposed to have got billions of dollars from rich Western donors. That 'decent' school in Kabul is in a dire state. Most windows are broken without glass. It is very cold inside. Few lights work. Teachers earn very little and all of them have to do another job to feed themselves.
Like it or not, globalisation means we are competing with any other nations. It was Japan in the past. Now China and India are looming large. Their young people/students, I heard, are very diligent and studious.

Jingo said...

I'm sure they are not all studious and diligent. There are bound to be exceptions e.g. Me.

Gaz said...

My mrs has worked in a factory producing pet products,for 30 years,she started off on a sewing machine doing cat/dog collars,now she's Quality control,looking for rejects,the attitude off the workers was "we get shit wage's,we cant be arsed" now the work is gettig imported from China,where people can be arsed!

Jingo said...

Hey Gaz,

People complain that immigrants come and steal jobs (e.g. Polish plumbers) but you gotta admit, they want it more.

The Usual Stuff said...

Reading, using above-level vocabulary, researchin through the web, although they bring mockery, are my pride and my prize.
I didn´t finish college 'cause once I was a stupid brat who made bad choices, but the quest towards excellence has been my trademark all my life, although I treated like the Quixote fighting windmills.
To hell with mediocres, to death with ignorance, even if they rule the world.