14 November 2006

A new Bible is required

Yesterday, Sir Elton John revealed the shocking revelation that he wanted all organised religions to be banned. When I read the headline, the first thing that went through my mind was: "Is he for real? What new complaint does the loser have now?"


With a face like that, how can you not feel sorry for him?


But having read through the articles, I feel some sympathy towards him.

I know sir Elton is loony and a few pies short of a picnic but for once he has a point. As I was listening to the 5Live phone-in they had some insanely religious fundamentalist Christian woman (you know the type) who was just spreading what can only be described as anti-homosexual propaganda through the airwaves.

What is it with America and their dangerously high number of crazy religious people that follow the bible to each exact word? There's something not right about someone (who's not a priest) who can quote every line from the bible.

I digress. Elton John's idea of banning all religions is ridiculous. It's not like homophobia will go away if there was no religion. Religion is the justification and not the cause, it's crazy right-wing people (from the southern states no doubt) that are the cause (sorry to stereotype... but you have to admit. That's where they all seem to be from). If the last episode of South Park has taught us anything it's that there will always be hatred/violence etc. even without religion. It's human nature.

And the Bible's outdated; we just can't relate to it anymore. The bible preaches to love your neighbour but what if he's gay? A paradox is it not?

My solution to making Elton John shut up and solving the problems of America's fanatic religious population would be to publish a new updated bible.

It'd need to be shorter, easier to interpret and filled with a lot less confusing crap. Also cut out all the genesis crap, can't be just come to a compromise and say God created evolution? Let's be cool about this people.

We could change it gradually, so no one notices.

If it'll make American zealots shut up, isn't it worth it?

11 comments:

DeBunkem said...

I like the idea of the revised bible. One suggestion though: while we're at it, couldn't we sort out this tiff between God and the Devil - forgive and forget I say.

I blog on an American network and have been gobsmacked by some of the loony tunes over the pond. I have suggested medication and professional help, but they are not very receptive to that idea. Oh well!

Cheers.
~ DeBunkem

Jingo said...

medication and professional help would be wasting money. I say we herd them into one state in America so we can keep an eye on them

DeBunkem said...

I think they've already done the herding. The state is Texas, apparently.

Laban said...

"Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord"

Jingo said...

And there was me thinking that God would forgive anyone. Vengeance is hardly the act of a loving (and forgiving) God is it?

DeBunkem said...

Nor is electing the hideously inadequate George W. Bush the act of a loving God... or of rational adult voters, for that matter!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Want a new Bible?

Buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Book-Patriotism-George-Courtauld/dp/0954894804/sr=8-1/qid=1163864985/ref=sr_1_1/202-8828472-5647855?ie=UTF8&s=books

Jingo said...

despite my name, I'm not very patriotic at all.

James said...

Haha, I like the compromise; and on the seventh day God created evolution, then put up His feet and watched as primordial soup turned nasty!

Elton's right though. I actually read the whole article as it was in a very good British newspaper that I am a regular reader of, and he worded it rather well.

Relgion does no good; religious people can, but religion itself doesn't. It discourages free-thinking and encourages hate.

The only religion (even though it's more of a philosophy) that is good for the world is Buddhism. Albert Einstein said this about it (and I agree), “If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism.”

http://islandphilosophy.blogspot.com/

Jingo said...

I disagree with you on religion being bad. Sometimes free-thinking invididuals can be dangerous, especially if they are ignorant. Religion helps to halt this. But what do I know? my roots are with communist China.

But I agree on Buddhism, it is the only religion that embraces other religions. perfect.

I like the way you assume I don't know British newspapers. I read the article in the Times.