19 April 2007

No More Coursework

Oh the relief...

Over the Easter Holidays, I have been fretting for many an hour about the marks of my coursework. If I do well then I've got a head start for my GCSEs, and it'll boost my chances of a high grade. Do poorly and I'll have condemned myself to shit grades before I've even sat the test.

I'm not sure if they have a similar system in other countries, but the UK assesses their students with GCSEs at the end of Key Stage 4 (I'll be sixteen when I sit my exams, so just think the equivalent). Part of the assessment is coursework, which contributes to a percentage of the grade (the percentage depends on the subject. At the moment I'm not even sure the exact percentages for each subject).

Coursework was the governments idea of getting students to think in a different way and experience what "real life" is all about - Normally the coursework involves some kind of large project that then needs to be documented like a kind of extremely diluted thesis or somethin'. It's stupid because marks are determined by the amount of effort the school/teacher is willing to put in, and how willing they are to "bend the rules". It's also incredibly easy to plagiarise since there's a million resources on the Internet.

That's why the government has decided to scrap it. My year will be the last to ever do it.

So anyway, I'm really rubbish at coursework for some strange reason. Something to do with my lack of ability to write reams and reams of waffle. I have spent hours and hours re-writing and correcting coursework, only to have it handed back to me with even more agitated scribbles and red pen. To have finally put coursework behind me is like a weight off my shoulders.

But there's still the actual GCSE exams to think about, so it'll be a stressful two months ahead...

I probably won't be able to blog as much, so don't cry for me if I'm not as active online as the date approaches (apologies in advance if I don't comment on your blogs).

In other news, I had my mock interview today. I'll probably do a post on that later. I also realise I've been tagged twice and haven't gotten round to doing them - I apologise. I've been incredibly busy.

Last thing to add - Go to Torquer's blog. Find out about the guy I constantly slag off.

4 comments:

The Usual Stuff said...

Oh, crap, man. Why didn't the authorities realize their stupid mistake ONE YEAR ago? But no; it had to be you who suffered the consequences of the so-called "modern teaching theories". That's bullshit, I tell you. And I know because I'm a teacher myself. But somehow you should be grateful. At the tender age of 16 you will be better educated than any Mexican college freshman. Pity your studies mess up with your virtual social life, but at least in my case I understand. Education is the only asset we can rely on all our lives. If you cannot comment, I'm ok., but be sure I'll keep you posted. And this is not a good-bye, ok? It's my own way to be supportive. If I may be of any assistance, please let me know, ok? You promise?

KB said...

I hate when 'authorities' decided something......then change their minds, when the 'average' person KNEW it was a dumb idea in the first place!!!

It seems to me, Jingo, you can ramble as much as the rest of us!! ;) Coursework should be a breeze for ya!! =)

Jingo said...

usual stuff: To be honest, I think I benefited from it, since although coursework takes years to complete, it takes out a large chunk of the grade making it easier to do well overall. Still, doesn't make it a good idea though.

I actually have a bit more time than I thought, since exams are a month away and I no longer need to pay attention in school... I have a short time to rest now.

kb: the authorities suck alright... Politicians and common sense don't seem to mix.

Hopefully I'll be keeping my ramblings to myself. That way I can write something interesting.

Anonymous said...

Coursework will catch you later, if you go to university then.