21 April 2007

Let The Music Do The Talking

Since I no longer have to worry about coursework, and have badly over-estimated the amount of time I'll revising, I have freed up quite a bit of time.

So I thought I might as well do this music tag of my top 10 songs. I tend to "acquire" hundreds of albums, and I've got about twenty gigabytes of music, so choosing just ten to list here proved quite tough.

My taste also changes every few weeks, so I can never stick to one band or one song. Since the collection is so massive, I occasionally discover hidden gems in my own collection, or I re-listen to old albums and realise the songs have grown on me. Sometimes I just get albums for the sake of getting albums, and only listen to them months later, Or even not at all.

So anyway, here's the list:

1. Ignoreland - R.E.M

One of my favourite bands. A friend gave me "Automatic For The People" and every song on it is pure class.

2. Cosmic Girl - Jamiroquai
This was the first song I heard by Jamiroquai, and it's clearly his best (although his best album is Dynamite). I then became a massive fan of his, even his earlier acid jazz stuff, which has grown on me lately.

3. Reason is Treason - Kasabian
When I first got the album off Torquer, I hated it. I didn't even listen to it. I gave it a chance months later and found their electronic rock quite psychedelic - it was like listening to music on drugs. Definitely not your conventional boy band.

4. Love In An Elevator - Aerosmith
Another one of those bands I loved when I was younger (I've moved on from them since then). They are one of the few glam rock bands I actually like.

5. You Got The Style - Athlete

Britpop at its finest. Will I ever get tired of Athlete? Although not a big band, these guys are fantastic.

6. Manchester - The Beautiful South

That's right, I like old music as well. I doubt anyone outside the UK will have heard of them, but their witty lyrics and mellow tunes are brilliant.

7. Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows
An American indie band (I think). I was bored at a party watching a music channel when this song popped up. Based on that one song, I got their Films About Ghosts (their greatest hits).

8. 19-2000 (Soulchild remix) - Gorillaz
This is the best remix I've ever heard - All remixes should sound like this. I also recommend Gorillaz - Their electronic tunes are perfect for parties.

9. Living For The Weekend - Hard-Fi
I discovered them whilst in London, and I saw a big poster advertising their "Stars of CCTV". Very catchy tunes.

10. Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast) - Lostprophets
Don't let their emo look fool you, they are an excellent metal band. Rooftops in particular is very inspiration and I can imagine it being played in the stadiums.

This list will probably change in a couple of weeks time. To finish off, I'll list the albums I acquired this month:

Cassadega - Bright Eyes
Dreams: Ultimate Collection - The Corrs (ah the nostalgia...)
Yes, Virginia - The Dresden Dolls
The Remote Part - Idlewild
Get Born - JET

If I carry on at this rate, I'll have no space on my computer anymore.

I tag anyone who can be bothered.

26 comments:

Torquer said...

Although Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai is a damn good tune and is OK once in a while at parties (why don't I get invited?) I don't think it cuts it as a piece you can listen to frequently.

You can see Jay Kay has matured with Dynamite, the songs are more flowing and rhythmic.

You've got to get me that Athlete album. Go Britpop!

KB said...

Hey!! Thanks for reminding me of Jamiroguai - I can't remember the name of the song that did quite well over here, but I damn-well liked it!!!

Did you know "Big Yellow Taxi" was a Joni Mitchell song? Her version is better - but I like the Counting Crows one too =)

KB said...

Woops - that should be a "q" in Jamiroquai!!

Jon said...

At the moment, i've found i have a real love for cheesy dance/happy hardcore. It's just so damn good :D:D, albeit slightly embarrasing. Also found some really good acoustic/melow(is that how you spell it?) stuff by, 9 inch nails + tool, it's all good.

and woo REM!

Jingo said...

Torquer: Oh come on! Cosmic Girl was when Jay Kay starting realising that the catchy tunes of pop sold much better than his earlier acid jazz stuff. Dynamite showed he had perfected that.

I'll try and get you the Athlete album next week. I'm still undecided which is better: Tourist or Vehicles and Animals?

kb: I hope the song you were thinking of wasn't the one in Napoleon Dynamite? If it was, that definitely wasn't Jay Kay's best! I would recommend the Dynamite album.

I've listened to the Joni Mitchell version (and the numerous other versions) but I like the Counting Crows one the best!

quirkalope: I would be embarressed if I got caught listening to cheesy dance. Are you by any chance a fan of floorfillers?

Acoustic mellow rocks! REM perfected that! NIN are releasing a new album right?

Aaron Lozier said...

Athlete is amazing, I've been listening to them non-stop for about a month. The album "Tourist" is phenomenal.

Have you heard Jarvis Cocker?

I've been delving into brit-pop myself lately......

Jingo said...

I went through that exact phase of listening to Tourist non stop! Although I've been listening to their older album, Vehicles and Animals as well.

Ah Jarvis Cocker, he is such an eccentric character.

If you like Britpop I suggest Coldplay (not to my taste, but most people like them), Travis and Stereophonics. Blur and Oasis as well, but you probably already know them.

Jon said...

Eugh no floor fillers for me. More stuff you can rave too. Its just good for parties, ooo forgot to add Metallica + guns and roses also good

my music taste jumps all over the place...Dolly parton anyone? (nah just kidding with the last bit)

Jingo said...

rave music? examples?

my music taste tends to jump round as well, although I tend to prefer bands that are more mellow or have a distinctive sound.

Tickersoid said...

What about that new up and comming chap.....what's his name........oh yes, Cliff Richard.

none said...

I've only heard of a couple of those, I'll have to check some of those out. The radio stations here suck so internet radio and downloads seem to be the way to go.

thethinker said...

I'm a big fan of Jet. And Jamiroquai. And the Counting Crows. You have good taste in music.

Anonymous said...

I remember listening to "Automatic For the People" over and over again on holiday in Spain about 2 summers ago. Haven't listened to it since then though, really.

Reason Is Treason is a good song, but I.D. is the best on Kasabian's album - it's all psycadelic and kaleidoskopic Again, don't listen to it much now, though.

Hard-Fi on the other hand deserve to be shot. I would personally direct you more towards the likes of The Flaming Lips and British Sea Power - two class bands, as well as being top live acts.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and i forgot to link people to my lovely new Music Blog:

http://folkdeath95.blogspot.com/

yum yum.

Jingo said...

tickersoid: cliff richard? never heard of him...

hammer: I would definitely recommend all of them. What would we do without limewire?

thinker: I only recently got in to Jet. They're like a mix of the Fratellis with AC/DC.

leo: Well, it is 14th greatest album rated by NME, so no surprises there!

Yeah, I like I.D as well, plus shoot the runner. I have yet to get the album Empire though...

Hard-fi are awesome! Very unique sound, although they sound awful live.

ldbug said...

I'm terrible with music, I have a limited selection that I love, and the rest I always put on hold to buy when the bills are paid off...course THAT never happens;-P

Crashdummie said...

Oh-mi-good!

This is so depressing, I can't for the love of God recognize any of the songs you have listed.

I'm sure I've heard them, but no clicking sound here...

D'oH!

The Usual Stuff said...

Man, you just reminded me how old I am. I was able only to recognize Jamiroquai, Gorillaz, Aerosmith and R.E.M. For my defense, I must say that English music has been mostly overshadowed by 'banda music' in my country, though. But I feel ashamed anyway.

Anonymous said...

Isent that Cliff Richard one of them punk rocker type ppl who takes a lot of drugs,a real bad example on kids i think?

Jingo said...

idbug: I have never bought a CD, I tend to be given them or "acquire" them one way or another... ;)

crash: the songs may be somewhat obscure (I chose them to show I'm not a sheep) but surely you've heard of the bands?

usual stuff: gorillaz are an international hit? I thought only the UK has benefited from them!

Gaz: yeah, I don't see what's so great about him.

thethinker said...

Oh, and in my opinion, Jamiroquai's "Seven Days in Sunny June" is the best, though "Cosmic Girl" comes close.

b. said...

i miss Jing.
and i like your music preferences...
very much so.

keep smiling.

-b

Greta said...

Cool list...I might have to check some of those out (once I get my blasted sound driver reinstalled...)
I can't say I know most of those songs, but I do like some of R.E.M.'s stuff, especially 'Losing My Religion.'

Congratulations on being done with coursework!

The Usual Stuff said...

MTV is to be made responsible for Gorillaz's success in Mexico.

Miao 妙 said...

I think 'Big Yellow Taxi' by Joni Mitchell is better.

Jason Roy said...

As a student, I've used do my assignment services in the past and have found them to be incredibly helpful in managing my workload and achieving academic success. However, I've never heard of do my exam services before and I must say, I'm intrigued. The idea of having a professional take an exam for me is certainly tempting, but I wonder about the ethical implications. On one hand, it could be argued that using such a service is cheating and goes against the principles of academic integrity. On the other hand, I can see how it could be a valuable resource for students who may struggle with test anxiety or have other extenuating circumstances that make it difficult to perform well on exams. I'd be interested to learn more about how do my exam services work and to hear from others who have used them.